close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portage Lakes

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ncraft150, Jul 30, 2004.

1. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I've heard that they have been spraying weed killer this week. I was out there Saturday night and noticed nothing. Has anybody been out there during the week? How's it looking? I also heard after the spraying no fish were caught at the Wednesday night tourny. Supposedly they sprayed from the iron channel at East all the way to Turkeyfoot. Any body notice anything? I have a night tourny out there tomorrow and will probably drive around the lake and check it out in the morning.

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Went out Wednesday morning and didn't notice anything. We actually tore the bass up at times. The lure of the day was this senko-looking deep-ridged thingy made by Fish Doctor (?). Senkos were getting mild action, and flukes and plastic minnows were ok too, but my friend pulled out a pack of those things in watermelon, and the bass went POW. Some inlets and shorelines that are usually good for us, didn't produce, but then we'd go across the lake to a different shoreline and BAM. They were spotty, but where they were at, there was lots of action. We fished Turkeyfoot and vincinity.

3. I talked to my buddy who lives on east off of S. Main and he told me that the state has Aqua Doc spray once throughout the whole summer. The residence also hire this guy to spray around their docks. So basically it is hit or miss right now. The state sprayed the entire lake (except the bones, miller) in late spring. The problem is the residence also do this several times and then I wonder if they are over treated certain areas? If they are then it is probably not good for aqautic life, especially new hatch. My friend and his surrounding neighbors pay Aqua Doc to treat four times a year, and they just had it sprayed in they bay he lives on Tuesday. Furthermore, I feel good for missing a Wednesday nighter. How many pounds won? It was taking a 19 lb. sack to win.

4. Welcome Tritonman to O.G.F. I see your also from Wayne County, What area ? Take care............Rich

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Went out again today to Turkeyfoot and vincinity, and saw a shoreline where there had been some spraying of weeds. It was on a shoreline in (Rex or Mud) lake (the furthest southern lake off of Turkey foot). It was a shoreline in front of a line of nice houses that USED TO HAVE nice pad areas mixed in with the exsisting docks, all along the shore. Well, we went there today and NO pads could be found on that entire shore. None. I think the resisdents hired that company to clean up "their" stretch of shore. Used to be a good area for us in the past. Didn't catch one fish there today.

Overall, bite was slow, and didn't catch one bass after 9:30/10 am (8/1). Boated 7 with 2 12-14"ers and one that went about 3 pounds, the rest dinks. Missed 2 real nice ones. Thought I set the hook hard enough, only to fight him for 30 seconds and lose him, with worm still intact. Unlike me to under power the set. I usually am the type of guy that can peg someone 50 feet behind me with a 95 MPH missed hookset.

As always, all fish are still swimming around to be caught again! :) They just now have one more teeny weeny hole in their lips!