close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portage Lakes

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TheKing, Jun 22, 2004.

1. I have heard that Portage Lake is a top bass fishery in the northeast region.
    Can anyone explain where it is, how big, restrictions, etc.? Is it busy or quiet?

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Long Lake isn't bad, but the others aren't that great unless you know where to go. Not to mention there pretty crowded. Long lake is no wake. There are definately better options for Bass in the Northeast region and alot more quiet options at that. Try Mogadore, Nimisila or Ladue if you want quality fish. Mogadore and Ladue you can't have gas motors on, even if there proped out of the water. Just my 2 cents...

3. PL can be great! Fish the docks, and there's a TON of them, with T-rigged worms or tubes. You'll get fish. You find the RIGHT dock, BIG fish.

Pumpkinseed/pepper tubes, man. Get 'er done!!!!

Carl

4. I have had good luck with mad man Craws. They are about 1.5 inches long and brown and orange, real lifelike. I put a piece of floating material in the body cavity and use them carolina rigged near the docks. They really work well when the water is stained to clear, when it gets muddy they seem to get overlooked a bit.
    Huntinbull

5. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

flip the docks with T-Rigged red shad or black rubber worms, green pumpkin and black tubes also a black/blue jig and pig. like Big Daddy said, you'll catch fish!

6. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

i dont bass fish,but i have heard many people
    say that if modgadore were to allow gas motors.
    that would be the most fished lake for bass in
    this region of the state.think this would be true?
    its the motor rule that is keeping this lake in great
    condition.i wish they would allow motors in there,
    with a no wake rule.tell you the truth i wouldnt
    care if they popped some speed lanes in there,
    would clear out some weeds :D but if that ever
    happend it would be the end of that lake.

portage lakes has only a few lakes that i have seen
    worth fishing for bass.long lake and turkey foot(all the
    conected lakes) north res and hower lake is a waste
    of time.i don;t think there is a bass in north over
    12in :p turkey foot has some beasty largemouth and
    smallmouth.