close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portage Lakes

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lcountry78, May 13, 2004.

1. Hello all, this is my first time at this site. I live on East Resevoir with my brother(ViperCountry911). We have been fishing almost every day this month but not getting the full stringers like we would like. We're catching bass mostly under 1 1/2 lbs. on husky jerks, tubes and spinnerbaits. The water has really warmed up this past week so hopefully things will improve. I would love to find out what everyone else is catching the big bass on.

2. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

alot of bass at portage are on beds or the bucks are crusing the banks. try 6'' lizards.

3. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

If they're on the beds.........just let them do their thang!!! ;)

4. I tried the 6" Strike King XXX lizard Friday and caught a few fish. I tried out a new style that I saw on a fishing program. You hollow out a small area in the lizards head and shove a 1/16 oz. bullet weight inside. It worked good, I didn't catch as much moss and sludge as a texas rig, plus it stands on end in the water.

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Those xxx plastics are great because they float. The only thing I don't like about them is they stick together to much.

6. Alwsfishin

ProCraft....here we go??????.............please explain.

7. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

its not worth arguing over, i guess everyone has their own oppinion

8. Alwsfishin

Who's arguing???..........either you contribute to the decimation of certain species or you don't....its that simple.....thanks for your reply.

9. No one is out to decimate a species. Don't overreact. You could say the same thing for walleye, perch, gills, crappie, smallies, steelhead, or just about any other fish.

Catching fish on beds isn't illegal and every fish biologist I've talked to about it(Phil Hillman, Ken Flick, both with ODNR)say there's no evidence it has a negative effect on bass populations here in Ohio. If it's an ethical question, then do what YOU think is right and move on. No need to start any unnecessary tension here.

If you think there needs to be a closed season to allow them to spawn, your argument isn't with the members here. You need to get the regulations changed. Contact ODNR and look into it.

Carl

10. FlyFisher

FlyFisher __________

First of all, I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops or start an argument. I simply feel I'm entitled to post my opinion as well as anyone else. OK here goes...as far as fishing for bedding Bass I personally don't do it anymore, but I have done it. When I first started getting into Bass fishing it was much harder to find and catch a Bass. I fished for Bedding Bass because it was an opportune time to catch one for the skill level I was at. I think a lot off fisherman do it for the same reason with the exception of tournament fisherman. I've watched a lot of tourney's on the television and there seems to be quite a few Pro's that don't seem to mind doing it, but I understand that there is money and status involved. The Bass still seem to be there year after year though. What about some of the other species? Smallmouth Bass for instance. They get pressured during they're spawn. Probably more so than the Largemouth do. Crappie? During they're spawn is when they are fished for the most. How about Walleye? When they run up the Maumee and Sandusky Rivers fisherman come by the hundreds if not thousands to fish for them. Redears? During they're spawn is about the only time you can find them, and just happens to also be when they are targeted the most. All these fish are fished for during they're spawn and still seem to be plentiful year after year. At least in my neck of the woods. Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, or even say what is the right or wrong thing to do. I'm just stating my opinion "that there is two sides to evey coin".

Thanks for reading it. and you don't have to agree with it.

FlyFisher

11. Alwsfishin

Carl.......I have no intention of starting any sort of tension here....just stating what I feel is ethical....I have made my point to the ODNR....If I spread the word, it helps....I've fished in many states where there are closed seasons for many game fish....why do "they" have these regulations?

12. Not sure why "they" have these regulations. I'm sure "they" have their reasons.
    BTW, throwing things out towards other members like...

"either you contribute to the decimation of certain species or you don't"

is, in my opinion, baiting for an argument.

FlyFisher, good post. There are two sides(at least) to every issue, and you described them well without going to an extereme. Thanks.

BTW, I do not target bedding bass when I fish for bass.

Carl

13. Alwsfishin

GEEEEEZUS Carl.........LMAO

14. Hey guys,
    I was just reading my June-July edition of In-Fisherman and found a short article on Smallmouth Bass in the Central Basin of Lake Erie by Daniel Isermann and Carey Knight. Now, I am certainly not trying to get into this "to fish bedding fish or not" argument but I know there are a lot of good fishermen replying in this post and wanted to get answers from experienced fishermen. In the article they talk about the size of class and health of classes relative to Rainy Lake etc. I found a paragraph that intrigued me though whereby it stated "Round gobies, an invasive species from Asia, primarily eat mollusks and other invertebrates on the bottom, not fish eggs and larvae. Since 1995, gobies have made up a substantial proportion of the smallmouth bass diet--44 percent of the prey in 60 bass during June 2003." Now, I have always read and heard that round gobies would raid the nest of a smallmouth bass if caught, even if you practice C&R, hence the closed season. This is the first time I have seen anything to the contrary. Has anyone else seen or read something like this?

15. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

FishingAddict17

There just isn't enough definitive information at this point to REALLY know what impact the round gobie has or doesn't have on nesting fish in Erie. There have been a few short term studies, and observations made by divers to TRY and gauge the overall impact of the gobie on smallmouth bass spawn success rates.

The ODNR is starting to look closely at this potential impact. Their first step was to change the possession laws for bass in Erie, NOT A CLOSED SEASON, just no possession.

Everyone one seems to have their own feelings and beliefs concerning fishing for any spawning fish. The vast majority of these beliefs and feelings are based upon emotions, not factual foundations. I prefer to let the biologists that study the individual species and any contributing factors relating to their overall health make the decisions of what is best for a species. I have complete confidence that good decisions will be made based upon sound scientific facts. There may come a time when fishing during the spawn for any species may need to be cutailed, but based upon current data, that time is not now

I am reminded of back in my youth when growing up that most hunters were outraged when it became legal to shoot the does. I still remember the cussing rampage that my father blurted out when first learning that does would be legal. Over time most have learned that shooting does actually helps the overall herd.

Kim

16. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Well said as always Lundy! Wheres that dog-gone tree at???

Gene

17. Alwsfishin

Well said Kim.........a l'il philosophy is always welcome with factual info :rolleyes:

18. As always a good answer to my question on Ohiogamefishing.com. I think the other guys beat me to the punch but I couldn't have said it better. :) Thanks Lundy 43123.

19. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Pro I know what your are talking about.