Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to portage lakes in an effort to make some contact with channels. Was out from about midnite to 4am. Had some success, mudds and channels. However the bite was fast. They just weren't really hitting it hard. Just kind of sucking it not really eating it. Sluggish fish, not really aggressive. Went through a lot of bait but only hooked up with 5. Lost 3, 2 drug me under a log or rock and had to snap my line. Overall, was a nice night to be out and enjoying the peaceful nite with no one around but the fish and birds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Whats a mudd cat? I know of channels, bullheads, and flatties around here.

I hate fishing for cats at nite. The bite is horrible compared to the day from my personal experience.
A mudcat is another name for a flathead. It is also known as a shovelhead. I had to learn these things so I could help teach my son how to catch them and identify them. About 5 years ago I taught myself how to fish and identify some of the most popular fish so I could teach my kids how to fish and learn patience. My daughter is the "bluegill queen"! My son mostly likes to catfish. He can take them off the hook and he is this close to filleting it! This year we want a boat.

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
A mudcat is another name for a flathead. It is also known as a shovelhead. I had to learn these things so I could help teach my son how to catch them and identify them. About 5 years ago I taught myself how to fish and identify some of the most popular fish so I could teach my kids how to fish and learn patience. My daughter is the "bluegill queen"! My son mostly likes to catfish. He can take them off the hook and he is this close to filleting it! This year we want a boat.

I thought a mudcat was another name for a bullhead???
We catch them all the time locally around here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought a mudcat was another name for a bullhead???
We catch them all the time locally around here.
I thought so too. According to the Ohio Fish Identification Guide there are 4 kinds of cats. One is the Blue cat which is only found in the Ohio River. Another is the channel cat which is also known as the spotted cat. I has been mistaken for the blue cats because it may have few or no spots. The third is the Bullhead cat; AKA Yellow bullhead, black bullhead, and brown bull head. The last is the Flathead, AKA Shovelhead, mudcat, and yellow cat. The quick way to identify the difference between the Flathead and the bullhead is the tail and anal fin. Here is a site that might help you out.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/fishing/aquanotes-fishid/bullhead.htm

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Soap! Sorry, I forgot, a few years ago, I picked up a fish ID Guide from the Ohio Division of Wildlife. When I took the kids out to Turtle Pond, they had a little book with pics and info. The kids and I could look at a fish and be able to identify them. I don't know if you can call and see if they can mail one to you or not. The one online is a little different than the book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts