Portage Lakes Red Ears

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by gilligan, Aug 19, 2008.

1. gilligan

gilligan Guest

Fished Saturday for bluegill at Portage Lakes. Had a great time & caught a mess of gills & red ears. Caught well over 100 fish casting tube jigs tipped with wax worms. Had probably 50 fish over 8" with the biggest going 9 1/4". Great day on the water.

2. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

Good job! I guess that is why they call you GILLigan. :) That 9 incher is a Fish Ohio, ya know.

Buick

3. Awesome! That is exactly what I have been trying for recently with my kids without any luck :( I have been trying to get them on the fish (any kind) like that to keep them interested but I haven't had any luck. If you are willing to offer some information to help us out, that would be great! If so, you can PM me. If not, I understand completely.

We went to West Branch last week camping and one of the OGF members PM'd us some pointers but we only fished a couple of hours as the kids wanted to swim and then it stormed and we had to get off the water. Anyway, we were trying for crappie but had no luck but still had a great day. I just want to get them on some fish to 'set the hook' in them for fishing!

4. Good job Ron. Sounds like you got into them pretty good!

5. gilligan

gilligan Guest

We were on the lake that Miller comes off of. I guess thats East Res? Anyway we were sitting in about 9' water & casting to the shallows. Was a pretty steep drop off from shore. Most of the fish came from a small area.

6. thanks,im goin there this saturday with my girlfriend and i wanted her to be able to catch some nice fish.east reservoir usally does produce the best redears,so does parts of west also.ill let ya know how i do.