Portage Lakes OPEN Bass Tournament

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Big Daddy, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHERE: New State Park Ramp - Portage Lakes State Park
    WHEN: Saturday, June 14, 2008
    TIMES: 6:30AM til 2:30PM
    Weigh-in will take place at Hook, Line, and Drinkers restaurant/bar.

Entry fee for this open event is $110 per two man team.

Payouts based on 80 boat field.

Entry forms available at Land Big Fish

For more information, contact Marty Salchak 330-618-4433

2. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Big Daddy you might have a chance at that one..... I will not be in it hehe!

Gene

3. You're funny!!! (looking)

First West Branch crappie #1 plus big fish, Second west Branch crappie #2 plus big fish, Walt won the FishCrazy Spring Walleye Derby, Nick and I came in 15th in our first Wed. nighter... We'll see what happens. I have 4 options the day of... Haven't decided yet...

Good to hear from you. I hope all is well buddy.

4. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

I'm sure others may have a different view of this, but a weigh-in at an bar when the launch site is at the other end of the lake doesn't sound too bright to me. Every tournament that I've known of has a "no alcohol" rule. I know the tournament will be over after the weight-in, but I'm not naive enough to think there won't be those that drink and drive back to the ramp.

I also think it is bad for the tournament fishermen image. Kinda plays right into the redneck, beer belly thing.

Finally, I can't think of a better way to shield the most visible part of the tournament from the public, friends, family and kiddies than to have a weigh-in at a bar. This is a bad idea

I always admired Al Linder's refusal to accept advertising or sponsorship from alcohol and tobacco companies. He had the right idea.

Buick

5. Where were ya when some of the old Trade Winds and Norton Circuit tournaments used to have weigh-ins at the Harbor Inn or the old Dietz's Landing at 619?

I don't think any images will be tarnished or families and children shielded from weigh-in.
    There is also a difference between having a beer or two and driving back to the ramp or getting drunk and driving back to the ramp.

With all due respect, I think your overeacting a little bit Buick.

6. with less respect i think your over reacting

7. I see no problem with that, I am always hungry and thirsty after a tourney . But opinion are opinions and I respect that. But HL+D is more of a resteraunt from what I see.Good luck to all.

8. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

Thanks Big Daddy for the info on this tourney. We even called LBF today for information and the guy my hubby talked to couldn't tell us anything (or didn't want to go find out) He told us to call Marty on Tue. So thanks for your post. Hey Cull'in........we also weighed-in at the Upper Deck a couple times :) WB

9. Bohunter21

Bohunter21 Bohunter

What is the problem with being a red neck with a beer belly?
    Just a joke. I see the point but I don't see a problem with having a beer with your burger. Perhaps the people operating the scales should remain beerless until the gun goes off, just so there won't be any problems.....

10. Bassboy883

Bassboy883 Frog This

The problem with weighing in at bar is the fact that there will be about 80 boats and maybe 12 dock spaces so not too many can stick around and eat. Most will have to go put the boat on the trailer and if you've ever been in the parking lots over there they really don't have the space for truck and trailer parking. Most people are not gonna be fortunate enough to live close and drop the boat and drive back to the bar. Now there will be those who do poorly and just go home but anyone who weighs in, wich you can plan on about 2/3 to 3/4 of the field, we're gonna see a big mess come weigh in time.

11. Buick Riviera

12. Did they have a bass tournament weigh-in at that marina/bar in Louisiana? The article didn't mention it.

And, I'm pretty sure the Portage Open bass event organizers aren't advertising to "come and get drunk" at the weigh-in afterwards. Most restaurant/bar type businesses in the Portage Lakes area serve soft drinks as well.

Just because the weigh-in for this event is at a restaurant/bar doesn't mean the contestants will all go get blind-stinking drunk before they get back on the water or road. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

13. Sponsers and promoters are hard to come by-especially for those "rednecked and beer bellied" bassfishermen! Who would foolishly get smashed and operate a boat with those types of things on the line? Why not go and HELLO, make a choice to be sober?! Nobody is going to pour alcohol down another persons throat. But these sponsers need to know that we're really interested in thier help, promoting bass fishing/tournaments. (These things on a grand scale ARE supposed to ADD to local economy!) So lets go weighin our best five, and have a grape Nehi! Opps I did it again. OK how 'bout a TAB? OPPS!

14. Buick Riviera

Don't get so touchy Carl. I simply said I thought of this thread when I read about a drunk getting killed in a bass boat, that's all.

I happen to believe that it is downright stupid and in most cases illegal to drink and drive whether you are on pavement or water. If one participant has one or two beers and drives back to the ramp they are being stupid, possibly committing a crime and endangering their lives and those around them.

I believe the legal limit is .08, which is two beers in an hour for the average guy. The effects of alcohol on the water are intensified due to motion. Why take a chance? And why tie a fishing tournament to it?

BTW, they used to say the same thing about Pelican's Cove that some of you guys are trying to peddle as to HL&D.

Buick

15. There might be a lot of tickets/arrests for drunken boating at Portage each season and I bet my Triton you can count the number of tournament anglers included in that group on one hand, if you could even count them at all!

I suggest you show up at weigh-in Buick and point out to the sheriff all the drunk tournament participants who get behind the wheel to head back to the ramp!

16. Wow, then just don't go if your so worried about the whole thing.

17. Buick Riviera

I thought of this thread again when I saw this picture of the boat involved in the fatal drunk driver accident. The passenger was killed and the driver has undergone brain surgery and is critical.

Alcohol and water don't mix.

[​IMG]

Buick

18. There is no basis for comparison between that story and the Portage Open bass event. The thread has been effectively hijacked and now it will be closed.

If anyone is interested in attending, the contact info is listed in the original post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.