Portage Lakes Frozen?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cheezemm2, Feb 8, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Has anyone been by the lakes lately? I just wanted to know how much if any ice is left on them. Specifically, Long Lake. I have some new toys to try out for the kayak:D

2. There is ice, but's it's rotten and totally unsafe. BTW, nobody fishing off of T's today either.

3. I think he wanted to take his kayak out.

4. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Hey Cheezemm2,
    If you put your kayak in behind the Kiwanis on the channel there you might make it onto the main lake at Long. It is down the street towards the Harbour Iinn from District 3 and T's Long Lake Bait and Tackle, if you get to State Mill rd. you have gone too far. The ice out here appears pretty rotten to me, but I'm no expert. At least there is enought clear water there for a short shakedown cruise for your kayak and a chance for some fishing too. (Good to see you on here Ice Bucket John!).
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    (Portage Lakes/Coventry)

5. good luck with tryin to put in there man...theres about 50 dudes that fish there every day...you'd have to paddle through lines bobbers and minnies hahaaaa.

6. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Didn't get the kayak out on Saturday because most were still locked up pretty well. Yesterday's wind put an end to that. Winter can't decide if it wants us on the ice or not. Long and East were almost wide open yesterday after the wind. Any ice that forms today is going to get a pile of snow on it. Just can't win lately...maybe I need to take the yak down to the tusc. and sit for channels:confused:

7. Robert Woodson

Hi Cheezemm2,
    Icefisherman4life is exagerating a bit there...There is another fellow (Pat) that puts his kayak in there regularly, I've had my Canoe in about three times and one of the regulars puts in a small oared aluminum V-hull. The Tusc has been running a bit fast and high...not sure where you would like to put in at there? One other thing, be careful, I've been on Long Lake with ice still moving on the lake before, watch the wind, I had pack ice nearly close me in at the mouth of the Tusc one time. Last year I managed to dump my Canoe in March with a trolling motor on it in a headwind 50' offshore of one of the points at Nimisilla in water under 50 degrees, and that cold water really gets to you fast...sure wouldn't want to try a repeat performance on that one.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

8. be careful on long they have the gate opened up on far end of the lake by manchester rd. its flowin hard down there gonna make for some weird ice and stuff. i dont know how packed its been at kiwanis but ive seen as many as 10 cars there before and it was all dudes fishin...not sayin it happens with that many all the time but it can get crowded

9. Robert Woodson

I can agree with that, thanks Icefisherman4llife, I saw the sluice gates open there at Manchester Rd. too and the gate that drops water down from North Reservoir to Long Lake just beyond the Kiwanis toward T's on the left was wide open and running hard the other Day.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

10. The rains this morning (Sunday 2/17) will rot what good ice we have on the lakes. Weather forecast for Tues-Thursday is colder temps below freezing for daytime & nightime will help out for the later part of the week.

11. 1345 pm just came in off old state park goog ice 8+inch but the fishing was slow

12. Robert Woodson

The Ice has been rolling back where I am fishing, I've been casting 15' over the ice to the open channel beyond and taking a number of bluegill...If you hop them a bit on the return, they'll slide right home instead of hanging up and leaving your tackle at the lip... (LOL). The ice is steady backing off, it appers fairly thick but there is sa lot of water on top. When I do stick a jighead on the edge. I just switch rods and after a 15 or 20 minutes they are thawed free and can be retrieved.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry