close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portage Lakes Crappie?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Sluggo, Sep 4, 2007.

1. I am new to Crappie fishing...started this spring and loved it! I heard that they move shallow in the fall as they do in the spring. Is this true? Do they spawn again in the fall? Also, I normally fish portage lakes. Is anyone catching them now on Portage lakes? Which lake? Where? ( I don't expect an exact spot but maybe water depth, next to drop offs, etc. would help). Any help would be appreciated. Oh, someone told me portage lakes was good for walleye (Turkeyfoot Res). Is that true? Thanks ahead of time for all who reply.

Sluggo

2. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

walleye at portage is now fairly limited. Yes there are walleye in there from past stockings, but I don't believe they are stocking Turkeyfoot anylonger with walleye. I have in fact seen small schools of them out at Turkeyfoot by the big Flag Pole with the American Flag flying. Used my underwater camera and happen to bump into some small schools. I would say it wouldn't be worth targeting them but rather it would be a bonus to get one while you were jiggin deep for other species.

In regards to Crappie, all your tips and tricks articles can be found here

www.crappie.com

In response to your question of where to try, it is hard for me to describe spots, but all I will say is find the ODNR dropped brush piles and ye shall find all sorts of fish.

flash--------------------------------------------out

3. KSU is right... The Div. of Wildlife will give you a map with the brush piles marked. Stop into the District 3 office on Portage Lakes Drive.

Crappies will be suspending now off drop offs and move shallower to feed, but they'll still stay close to deeper water. Sometimes, they will get into the weeds out there, but you have to find the good, green weeds... Not the ratty brown dead ones.

I may try to head out there this weekend... It's been a few weeks since I fished there...