Portage Lakes Are Still Burning

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Buick Riviera, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

This morning I had my best 3 hours on the water in a few years. All fish were from the Turkeyfoot area. On the water at 7:30 a.m. and off at 10:30 a.m.

I only caught 5 fish but they were all nice size. On my digital scales they went 5 lbs, 2 lbs., 4 lbs, 4 lbs and 3 lbs. The 5 pounder weighed in at 5 lb, 3 oz. but was not a Fish Ohio qualifier because it was only 20 inches!

Here is a picture of that toad:

[​IMG]

All fish taken on Berkley pumpkin seed, 4" finesse worm, Texas rigged on a shaky type hook (1/16th oz) fishing drops and flats in the weeds.

All fish were released and if you want to catch them I marked the water with a big red "X". :)

Buick

2. Very very nice fish :B . I caught a few yesterday in there, nothing like that. Seems like the fish is biting like crazy. Full moon tonight *HOOOOWLLL*
    BTW was you out there yesterday in the middle of mud? I thought I seen a boat similar to the one in your sig.

3. Beer:30

Beer:30 ReelAddiction ch.68

buick, i went by you this morning (black lund) about 9 on the corner, on our way to the other end of the lake. we got 5 in the boat this morning, but nothing as nice as that > congrats!

4. Buick Riviera

Yep, I saw you. My wife pointed you out because we have a friend with a similar boat (not exact) at first, from a distance, she thought maybe it was him.

Very nice boat, BTW.

Buick

5. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

6. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Way to go Buick Riviera!!!
    That's the one...My son and I went on to Long late this morning...just too many boat's in at old state park...sure didn't turn up anything like that...wow!!! (I keep getting the long skinny ones (LOL)) ...did hear of a fella who had a batch of good ones there including one the source saw landed that supposedly went about 6 pounds. You look like a pretty happy guy there. Great Job!

Good Fishing,.
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

7. Buick Riviera

Woody, we pulled into the old state park and there literally wasn't a parking space available. I don't know who had the tournament but it was a pretty big one. We launched at the new state park ramps and that parking lot was normal.

For me the difference between yesterday's fishing and today's was about 4 fish and 16 lbs. LOL! Do any good at Long?

Buick

8. Robert Woodson

Hey Buick Rivier,
    I almost went that way to the new ramps...(LOL)...probably should have...wish that I could say that I did have a great day, especially in light of that other thread, but I nearly got shut out with just one small fish early on. Bobby and I didn't spend a lot of time on our normal routines I fished the main lake docks with a Texas rigged 4" powerbait and paid some attention to that thick strand of lilly pads at the mouth of of the Snakey with a topwater...then we just gadded about for a bit as the old Johnson was running good today,

I had talked to Kenny Bridges over on Cuy. Falls Ave. yesterday and it sounds like the lower end gears are begining to slip out ...it's been kicking up a ruckus, not much to do about that but find a "new" lower unit...and that's
    apparently not easy or cheap. I tied the shifter over and left it in forward gear for today...making plans to put the 17 footer back on line by the begining of the month, got the bow mount trolling motor back from Jeff in Mogadore and Kenny is doing points etc. on the old Chrysler the 31st.

We stopped in at "T's" for a soda some bait, gossip, and a Hershey's candy bar for Bobby, and then went all the way to the other end and tied up at that little dock for a walk up to see the Indian...all important stuff. Good time though whenever we are out. I was glad to see that you had such a good day (especially in light of the competition.)
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

9. Buick Riviera

Hey Woody...you mentioned Kenny Bridges. Do you know if he does Evinrudes? I'm looking for a new certified mechanic.

Buick

10. Robert Woodson

Hey B-Riv,
    His special forte is working on Johnson's, but I'm sure that he is more than capable with Evinrude too...best motor man I know of, and I've had experiences with a few believe me. Give him a call or stop in...it's safe to mention my name (LOL). Turns out he used to deal in Chrysler's when mine was made. Busy guy, good ethic, works hard and puts in lots of hours to keep up with his business. A old fisherman too, he's a character like all the rest of us. He's done a wonder job of keeping me on the water.
    I'd definitey reccomend him.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

11. FYI- I know there was 3 different clubs there for their tournies. 2 from the Cleveland area and 1 local. Talked to some of them and all had good days. :)

12. Robert Woodson

Well,
    The parking was a lot better today...5 trailers in the lot when I got there and two of them leaving. Gee it's a good thing that the bite doesn't stop at 9am like some folks think or I'd never catch any fish...(LOL). The sky's were changing from clear to overcast. It took a while but I found that Red X that Buick Riviera left to mark the spot (to the far right of his picture)...and I found this slightly smaller sized critter under there...4 1/2lbs. 20" long and came in on a Texas rigged 4" Blue Fleck Berkeley Powerbait Twistertail..I thought for a minute or two that I had hooked into a catfish...he played immoveable object low and deep... I was ready with the net when he broke the surface...Had several more bites but just this one came in today...I'm not complaining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

13. Buick Riviera

Wow, Woody, nice fish. I'm glad you found that "Red X" because that hole has produced 4 or 5 really nice fish this year, including my wife's Fish Ohio.

Now that I have a full view of your rig I'll look for you on the water...after 9:00 a.m. of course. :)

Buick

14. fished a small 25 man tourney there on sunday good day for me won with 13 pounds biggest fish 3.8 all fish caught on gulp slim shakey or gulp nightcrawler not alot of boats at dawn but lot was full by 11

15. Robert Woodson

Nice Job Fishholio,
    Sounds like you definitely made the most of what we all agree was a very busy day at State Park. Congratulations on your win!!! Nice Fish!
    Good fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

16. Buick Riviera

Nice bag of fish on a high pressured day on those waters. Good job.

Buick

17. Robert Woodson

Fish on steroids!!!
    Fished 10:30-11am till 2pm Tuesday...took three (Shhh!!!...I thought that they weren't supposed to bite during those hours!)...all of them were feeling acrobatic today...the first about 3 pounds on the main lake, it went airborn twice on me and I was using a beefy Daiwa Advantage 153 HSTA reel...then I got thinking about where the fish would be on a hot afternoon and sure enough, they were at the club...I took two there in ten minutes off of the docks...a feisty one and a half-two pound model and another acrobatic 19" 3 1/2 pounder...took the air twice again and really didn't like the net...great show for the clientelle...even brought the barmaid out to talk a minute...yes, the Portage Lakes are hot!!!

I've done better camera work but here they are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All came on a Texas rigged Blue Fleck 4" Powerbait Twistertail.

Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

18. Beer:30

Beer:30 ReelAddiction ch.68

Nice bag Woodson! Was there with my pops and son around 3pm - 8pm and only bagged 1 nice 4 lber., on pumpkin & spice (jig&pig). Pops, lost a nice one at the boat on a gill crank. With the background views, it may be hard for you to get back in your spots. There was a club tournament lastnight and they all went to the big giant red X. They were so packed in there I think they had thier boats tied together.

19. Buick Riviera

Good job Woody. I gotta tell ya, when the sun gets hot I often go to that same club. But not to fish! ;)

Good job,
    Buick

20. Robert Woodson

Thanks Beer:30,
    Congrats on that four pounder!!! I'd better take what you say to heart. From your description though it doesn't sound like the ole' Red X is too much of a secret. Got a little busy huh? I consider the other something of a fluke. I imagine most guys know to fish the docks now and again and there are a lot of them. (And there were a lot of witnesses.) It was hard to pass up the joke about the "cool" fish on a hot day. For sure, any day is a good day that puts three generations on the water together too...good for you guys! .
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage lakes/Coventry