Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a day, what a day. I will remember this one for a long, long time.

I'm on vacation this week so I took Nick and little brother Sam out for some crappie/redear/gill action. We hit East, found some fish, and WHAM! Sam nails a nice 2lb bass right off the bat on a minnow deep. We had a few other bites too, and marked A TON but no takers. We went shallow next. Caught a bunch of dinks and began moving around. We ended up in West Res. and found a nice pile of fish. One after another, bluegills and redears... WHAM WHAM WHAM... Then Sam hooked into about at 3 lb channel cat. He was laughing so hard trying to get it reeled in... Great to be a Dad and just watch.

Then I was surprised again... Nick brought his fly rod and began casting to the gills... Once he found them (VERY shallow) it was on. Topwater gill action on a flyrod, his little 11 yr old arms working the foam spider, dropping it in just the right spot... SLURP! In comes another gill, accompanied by more laughter. If there was a trip on the water that personified the great feelings that fishing with kids can generate, this was it. I was just helping Sam get his hook point covered and keeping up in position so the kids could cast.

This was one of the best trips I've had with the boys, hands down.

Pix in a little while.

And Woody,got your note. We had a ball.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

What a great day....

·
Bassmaster
285 Posts
We had a great day on Portage today also. We caught 21 largemouth bass and a 15" crappie on a spinnerbait???? At about 3 o' clock it calmed down. Pics to follow

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like a great day to be a dad. We all need to slow down once in a while and enjoy these simple pleasures.

Bdrape

·
Ohio Angler
714 Posts
Carl, what a classic day! Congratulations on investing so much in Nick and Sam - there will be a big return on that investment!

Bob

·
Woody in Akron
480 Posts
Big Daddy,
Sounds like a terriffic day; had my nine year old son Bobby out with me on Fathers day...he doesn't go as often as he used to; and I don't want to push it too hard, might turn him away...he really loves the outdoors, fishing, and all critters; has his Heron call down to perfection...his Momma lives across the street from the lake now and when I go on he tends to drop in see Momma and tube out awhile. The boy grew up with a doggy mattress between the seats of the boat for a crib (LOL)...lots of terriffic times together for us; and I'm sure many more to come...Looking a ways forward to the day when he can take old dad fishing.

Sam sure looks like he is having fun...nothing beats that sound of laughter (coupled with a fish coming in.) Sounds like Nick did great with his fly outfit too. We'd been out earlier at Bobby's baseball team's picnic got a chance to fish awhile at F.O.P.'s Wolter's Park...always wanted to sneak in there (LOL)...I got a few and so did his Momma...(she got a nice 19" 3-3 1/2 pounder there)...When we got back to State Park I had to get her tri-hull bowrider in the water for her and then went out in my smaller Bass boat, an old "82" Basstracker until I finally found a fish to match, and maybe beat, her's at dusk. Saw Buick Riviera and the Mrs. practicing a little finesse fishing on the way out there. No pictures after dark on my camera phone.

I was parked in the spot next to you at the ramps for awhile while getting her boat in, and I figured it'd only take a minute to leave a note and say hello...one day we'll catch up out there. Dodged most of the rain and got a couple small fish topwater this afternoon...always fun.
Good fishing,
Woody in Akron
Portage Lakes/Coventry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts