Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went with a buddy - who has never fished the lakes - so I had my babbling tour guide hat on today (fished areas I normally would not have), so as to show as much of the lake(s) as possible.

Put in once the lightning and rain slowed - approx. 845am from Ole' state park. Started trolling Hand Tied Spinners (HTS) right out of the ramp towards Turkeyfoot - then to the left and onto mud, then back across and down to Rex, then to the bottom of the toe (the inlet from Nimi at the southside of the speedlanes). Then to lunch at upper deck (newer owners have done a great job), then through west to the harbor and around the crap island (you know the ones those flying rats have destroyed), the to the north end of east to work the bowl and cut, and a bit on the NE shore - then back to the state park...

Fish...
Lots of healthy medium gills, few redeyes, couple crappie (8in), couple LMB, and more gills. The gills were rather aggressive - we worked mostly crawlers, some red worms, and about 2 doz minis (fatheads). Bait was equal - late in the trip buddy put on a rap J-9 and caught a couple of gills - one not as big as the lure - I like confident hungry psychotic fish!!!

Overall - threatened weather - wet at the end, but had a very nice day (sans the fact I would have sworn it was gonna rain all day - hence the rain pants (heavy cabelas bibs) which would have been MUCH better saved for being put on urgently when it began to rain, not in the morning before getting on the boat - got a bit warm!!!).

Likely Wingfoot tomorrow.

Gonna continue on this path of good eats fishing (gills, crappie, perch) until the gators start having a sincere interest in the 'free' tour of my freezer...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Thanks for the report... those gills at PL always seem to be more aggressive then other lakes(havent fished others besides nimi in a while but), seems that artificials will always pick the bigger fish out of the numerous smalls. good luck at Wingfoot!
Crap island.... i think you should coin that as the official name of that island. They also got a big mess going near new state park, and the N end of Nimi.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I guess the DNR's effort to get them to leave with 'nuisance' means, loud noises, etc. didn't work well. I wonder what that cost to implement. I think opening it up to .410 target practice would have worked better and be cheaper but....that's just my 2 cents. Seriously, I do hope they figure out how to fix that problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two additions...
First - rainbow - function of sunny and downpour (after wearing gear ALL DAY)...
Second - and a first for me on Portage Lakes... at the point in Turkeyfoots speedlanes - house with the statue of liberty and flagpole - bald eagle!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's a shame you couldn't get a clear pic of that eagle with the flag in the picture!

None the less that sound bring pride into the heart of every American! Just awesome picture!

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
its one thing to see a half eagle..... but right on the american flag?! that's something far different.
when we talk about flying rats, are we talking European starling, pigeons, or Canadian geese?

·
Registered
921 Posts
If that is not just a decoration, then the Eagle on the Flagpole picture has viral potential..just sayin'.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flying rats are Cormorants (ComoRATS)...
They are a diving bird that eat fish then crap on certain trees - their passing of highly basic material kills the trees for years. They eat an incredible amount of fish - they are referred to as the Black Death.

They have NO predators locally of any numbers (eagles, otters) - they cause too much damage, period. ODNR has tried to rid them... Usually fails.

I'd love to see some money spend on training muskies to attack (Cormorants & PWC)...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that is not just a decoration, then the Eagle on the Flagpole picture has viral potential..just sayin'.
Though the same thing (I'm a glass half empty guy) - it moves was the first dispute of that. Flagpole is 50' high was #2. The departure proved matel has made a remote control bald eagle that looks really real (LOL).

As to good photo - in the rain, overcast, the iphone just doesn't cut it.

As for viral - not interested - more interested in more fisherman posting valid and detailed reports.

B.good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will note - if that eagle feasts on all the cormorants at Portage Lakes - we have an opportunity to have a world record on our hands...

There must have been 50 in Rex lake and another 100 at the isle in West... Excluding all we saw in-between...

I'd be willing to donate $ to the guy who owns that point lot, as he will need a much larger pole to hold what will be a 300lb bald eagle if this daydream comes alive and the eagle decides to go on a cormorant (ComoRAT) diet...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts