Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share some tips for catching bass on Portage? This lake gives me fits...for whatever reason I just can't seem to locate and catch bass there. I know specific spots won't be shared... but any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
My suggestion would be to tie on a 3/4 oz Rattletrap in Blue or Black Chrome and find one of the many "grass beds" that are located around the lakes....currently you have bass in different stages of the spawn...in my opinion by the end of the week there will start to be beds popping up all over... My preferred rig for this is a Med Heavy 7 foot Rod with a Fast Ratio Reel...Cast the trap right over the grass and reel it just fast enough to "tick" the weedtops....Experiment with the speed of your retrieve and the fish will let you know what they like....Try throwing a white double willow spinnerbait along the bank in 3-5 feet of water as well. Anyway, while portage has kicked my butt more times than I care to remember if you try these tips it should be good for some nice catches.....As the the water warms, try moving out to the deeper side of the grass beds with the same techniques talked about above...Just adjust retrieve so that you maintain contact with the grass...Anyway, I hope this helps you out.....

Hawk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well I don't have any help to offer you as I'm pretty much in the same situation you are when it comes to tricking the fish into biting. I just started really fishing towards the end of last year so I'm fresh to all this. I'd love to give it a shot though! I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I usually fish only soft plastics and seem to do pretty good at Portage. My worm of choice is a 6" red shad - heavy salt. When that isn't working, I just try different colors......and have even found (don't laugh) pink worms work really well too - on certain days.

I've got several "hot" spots - sorry, classified information - but even these spots don't always produce.

I was going to go last saturday for the first time this year, but when the weather wasn't that great in the AM I decided to stay home and spend the day with the family............

Got the boat all ready to go and haven't made it out yet!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts