close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portage 8/16/08

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mpd5094, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Fished for LM's from 4 'till dark. Only got one lousy dink and lost another at the boat. Is anyone else having any better luck? If so, how?

2. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Hey Mpd,
    It has been a rough week (ever since that sudden cold spell last Sunday)...I've been fishing so slow and hard that I'm getting light bites from the saugeye that take the tails off my Powerbaits...hooked up with a Christmas tree yesterday and parked over it , inverted the rod into the water full length and managed to draw it up from about 8-10 foot of water...bonus was after retrieving my jointed Lucky Craft I hauled it up by the branches and took the other "ornaments" off too...got a nice new deep diver white fatty crankbait.

Catch of the day though was a 14' piece of steel Cable from 11" near the Red X...since I'd brought it in once before I deemed it a keeper and released it (after weighing) at the Old State Park Ramps.

My friends Bart and Donny were out and we werefishing with our boats pretty well side by side Wednesday evening (Bart managed a small one then) when we heard a rumble and I counted 32 boats coming across the lake from the new State Park ramps...(the Wednesday Nighter's)...don't think I got all of the stragglers included in here...Wow! A good number of them pulled up and started fishing the area where we were...fish have been scarce and the pressure heavy, but if you read that thread, you'll know that somebody has been catching them. Also spotted atb the ramps my friend from the OGF boards, Deerhunter03, that I met a couple weeks ago at Salt Fork. Thanks for saying hello and for your help down there.

Now heres a story...
    Last night while out for a cruise after dark with my son Bobby and his mother we tried passing around another oncoming boat on it's right, they must not of known that we were there...they moved at the last minute and for a moment I hought that they were going to ram us...apparently they had just cast and at least two lines fouled and drug across our boat before I could hit nuetral/reverse and and stop the boat they either snapped or drug over...Bobby's Mother was caught up in them for a second...thankfully she was more scared than hurt. If that boat belonged to any of you then here are my apologies for our part of the incident; I was moving slow and tried hard to pass you away to the right...as your lights showed that you were apparently headed our way. You must have just cast to have that much line out...sure keeps you on your toes.

Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

3. Some of those people at Portage really irritate me. Last Monday I was fishing a weedbed and my boat was about 10 yards from the shore. A pontoon went by me, between me and the shore! There was about 40 yards on the other side of me! Went right over top the weeds I was fishing. Funny thing is, I caught one in the weeds right after the pontoon crossed over.

4. Wendsday fished turkeyfoot, mud and rex nothin. made the drive out to east. managed 1 10" and had a really good one on but lost it before we could see it. on DT-6 fire tiger. fishing the droop offs. no luck lately shakey heading or on texas rigs. and it was good to see ya agian woody

5. Robert Woodson

Hey guys,
    Mpg, I know just what you mean...had an older fella today in a pontoon barge with a big family stare me flat blank in the face as he ran withing 5 feet of my boat with only 15 20 between me and the shore, had I kept my rhythm I would have cast right into his boat.

Unfortunately, I was the one on the short side last night...It was dark, we were in a bend in the East Channel and my only real references were his lights he was facing me in my lane and I kept trying to move to his right until finally I could see that he was about twenty-five or thirty feet off the shoreline...I tried to split the difference maintaining power for control and I've already told you the rest...fishing under such circumstances I'd suggest facing in the same direction as is commonly traveled, that way I'd have slowed (or speeded up) and passed to the left instead of the right.

Too bad about that big one Deerehunter, I've heard a couple of those stories lately too...seems more than one fish that does get on is busting loose before the boat. We were only out for a couple of hours today on State Park. Bobby and I saw the Buick Riviera Clan out on the water today... "howdy folks"... and a tip of the hat to you too! Don't know how they did, it seems finesse fishing may be the way to go right now. We got skunked fishing Texas rigs with a little crankbait action thrown in for good measuire.

Good fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

6. Me and my buddy have been pulling our hair out at Portage lately. I have never in past season's left after 8+ hrs( multiple time's)This season with just a couple of dink's. We go shallow ,intermediate,weeds,deep,spots we have been sucsessful for years. I know we are not the only regulars to portage that is having trouble ,But knowone seem to have any answers.My thought is the weather becuase it has been so strange this year.Pass along your thought's John

7. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

Yep, the Riviera clan (wife, son, daughter, grandson) had just gone zoom-zoom around the speed lane a couple of times and lived to tell about it. I had earlier fished solo and caught 3 bass (finesse) within 20 minutes at the Blue X in Rex. The biggest was a shade over 16". But that was it for the day, even though I fished until 1:00 p.m. before hooking up with the clan for pleasure boating.

It was crowded out there yesterday afternoon. Glad to hear you all survived the close encounter.

Buick

8. Robert Woodson

Yeah, thanks Rick, that "Pleasure Boating" can be rough!!!...(LOL)...Good job on finesse-rustling up those three stray critters at the Blue X on Rex.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

9. Beer:30

Beer:30 ReelAddiction ch.68

Have any of you been out lately? I am going to head down there in the early a.m. and try my luck. Just looking for some info.. Send me a PM if you prefer. Haven't been out in about a month, so catching anything works!