Portage 7/23/08

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mpd5094, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Fished from 6:30am 'till about 11am. Ended up with 5, all 2 + lbs. Dad lost a nice one. It came completely out of the water and spit the hook. It was at least 4lbs., maybe bigger. Caught alot of them towards the end and couldn't believe how shallow I was getting them. A couple came in water about 6" deep. The one Dad lost came in about a foot of water. Caught one right away on topwater. Lost a few more too. All around, it was a good morning. The wind really started picking up. Are the tournaments here on Wed.? How much do they cost?

2. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

Congrats on your good morning of fishing. The bass at Portage really give you a run for your money. I don't know if it is the weeds or what but 90% of them seem to be jumpers. I sometimes stick my rod tip a foot or more in the water and they will still jump sometimes.

Someone else will have to give up the information on the Wednesday tournaments, I've never fished it. But I've seen the bags and I think it is kinda like giving your money away to the local boys. Theys good!

Buick

3. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Last I heard the tournaments were $40/boat with a $10/person one time member fee.

4. hey can you guys tell me how to get to this place from champion ohio?

it would be great!

5. Beer:30

Beer:30 ReelAddiction ch.68

Muskie,
    The State Park ramp is off of Manchester Road / Rte. 93.. Coming from the east; take 76 to Rte 77 south to 224/76 west to Manchester Road and head south 5 miles. Entrance will be on your left.

6. Buick Riviera

Road Map

Buick

7. BuzzBob

BuzzBob Take a Dad fishing

I work fairly close by but live 45 miles away so I don't spend much of my free time in Akron but the other day during lunch I drove through the park. I was wondering, where is the best place to fish from shore for a couple hours before I head home?

8. thanks beer buick dont be a smart@$$

which lake is best for bass?

9. waterwalker

waterwalker #@%&!! BROWNS

:confused: grow up, do your own homework and play nice for petes sake

10. No need for the namecalling guys.

BTW, Buick did give you a link to directions, just like you asked for.

Good luck at Portage!

11. Buick Riviera

Hey Muskie,

If you click on the words "Road Map" in my post it is a link to a map of directions which I hope you find helpful. If you haven't fished Portage before, I'd go to the new ramps (first left after you turn into the park), launch your boat, put down your trolling motor and start fishing.

Any weedbed holds fish, some more than others. My first 2 choices of lakes are Turkeyfoot and then Mud but I've caught them literally in every lake.

Buick

12. thanks a lot buick im going to give it a shot!!