close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portable gas grill?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by archman, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Can anyone recommend a good one? I saw a Weber at Gander Mountain for $130, but found some at Walmart and Lowes that arearound $80-90 with the same BTU's. I'm not that familiar with them, and didn't know if it's a "get what you pay for".

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Any more they are all made about the same. The big difference is the burner. The better one will have a stainless burner. Also a better "Coated" grilling area. Remember you can always buy a stainless replacement burner for most all brands. I replaced mine with a new stainless two years ago and it still looks good. I clean mine every few times I use it. I bought mine at Lowes and never had a problem with it. The other thing is decide how much surface are you want, that is the biggest cost increase you'll see. If the BTU's are the same there isn't much difference. Also get a grill cover if your going to leave it outside. Some say don't use them but I have and my last grill lasted 8 years before I replaced it. The case was still good, the insides needed replaced and it was cheaper to buy a new one than replace the guts.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

How portable are you talking?? I purchased a small grill from Walmat for $20 and it's going on it's 5th year. Not a bad unit once you get the feel for it. It runs off a 1 lb. cylinder of propane. It's great for metts, chicken, steaks and burgers. I carry it whenever I'm on the road for weekend trips.

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I have the same kind Hook N Book is talking about and they are great. Small, cheap and once they no longer work very easy to replace with the cost being less than 20 bucks. You can also get a hose that will hook up to a 20 lb cylinder......

5. Hook N Book

The link didn't take me to the exact unit you're refering to but, I suppose it's the Stainless steel table top model. That's a really nice unit and based on what your needs are seems to be the ideal unit. I noticed it doesn't come with a cylinder. Does it use the 1 lb. or the 20 lb. cylinder?? The twenty runs about $35-40 empty and another $10-12 to fill, so you'll need to count on spending a little extra to get going. Go for it! I believe I have a grill fetish...I just sat a gas unit out last week for the waste collection. When I left out the next morning for work I had second thoughts about keeping it and converting it to a charcoal unit but someone had already taken it. :eek:
    So now I'm down to only eight grills :D

Good luck and happy grillin with your selection.

6. You are right, it is the table top stainless steel. It looks like a great grill, but I just wonder why it's so much cheaper than the Weber Q portable one.

Thanks for your help guys, I think I'll go ahead and buy this one.

7. Hook N Book

The lower price on the "Wave" relative to the "Weber" is more than likely because of the name. Weber's, are good quality grills and have a good reputation in the business. The unit you're looking at is more than likely an import and can be sold at a lower price than the webers. That is not to say it is not a good unit only that it was manufactured at a lower cost.

I tell ya...that Jen-air at the top looks really nice but I bet it doesn't make food taste any better than the little $20 unit I have. :D