portable gas can fittings

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by davef, May 18, 2008.

1. I'm switching to a 3 gallon plastic portable gas can and using the fittings from my old tank. It looks like the old fittings had plumbers teflon tape on the threads. Is that correct for use with gas? I've often used it in plumbing situations but wonder if there is a special tape used for gasoline applications. Thanks

2. i've always used 3M teflon tape on fuel fitting with no problems....

3. I do not think the white teflon tape is compatible with gasoline or diesel. I know they do make a different composition teflon tape that is colored differently for different applications. However I would stay away from the tape and use a gasoline compatible thread compound. I fear that some threads of tape may become loose and get into your fuel system. A product I know of is called Gasoila. I would think a good auto parts store would carry a good quality gasoline compatible thread compound if you canot find Gasoila.

4. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

DO NOT use teflon tape on fuel or oil fittings.
    I know a lot of guys do, but you are asking for potential troubles of the tape coming loose inside and fowling up your fuel or oil line.

Go to the auto parts store and buy some Permatex Thread sealant. That it what all you guys should be using.

5. I like the tape because it is less permanent than a sealer. That way, if you want to change tanks or fittings, it's no problem. Like wave warrior, I have been using the tape for many years without problems.

6. A good quality thread compound will not harden and fittings can be taken apart easily. Again the white teflon tape is not compatible with gasoline...this means it may not seal if gas should contact and destroy it.
    But...to each his own.

7. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Yea... we don't know nuthin. ;)