close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portable Fish Finder

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jasonsgirl, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Hi! This is my first time on this website and I am looking for advice on purchasing a portable fish finder for my boyfriend. He mostly fishes in Ohio at Alum Creek and the Big Darby. Any recommendations on a good brand or model?

Thanks

2. I see you are sitting on here waiting for a reply. Is he fishing from the bank or boat? I know some guys use the smart cast, if they are fishing from the bank and others use either an Eagle or Hummingbird portable finder if they are from a canoe or going up north and can't take their bigger rig.
    All of them are self containing and very portable, but the smart cast is the only one worth while if he is fishing from shore. - As far as I know.
    You can find all three at Bass Pro or Cabelas online.
    ying

3. He usually fished from a canoe- thanks for your advice

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I have an eagle portable unit that I've had for a few years. It is a basic unit that I believe sold for about $100.00. Operates on 8-d batterys or a 12volt trolling battery. I have used it for several weeks on the same set of betterys and still have almost a full charge. Everything fits in the carry case that comes with it which makes it nice to carry anywhere. This one had a suction cup sending unit, that I stick to the back of our boat in Canada and hardly ever comes off. For what you need stay with something simple and low cost. This unit has done great for me both in Canada every year and on several fly in trips.

5. DaleM

I almost forgot. Welcome to the site. We are glad to have you here with us. We hope to see you both at some of our outings and get togethers. Stop by our booth at the Columbus, sports, vacation and Boat show. We will be at booth #1302.

6. You may want to look at galyans sporting goods on sawmill road, they are going out of business and they had some really good deals the last time I was there.

7. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

When did Galyans go under!!!??? That place has been there forever..never thought it would go under. :(

8. DaleM

It's not going under per say. It was bought out by Dick's sporting goods and is changing names. We'll see what happens after it changes. I just hope they continue to be as good as Galyons was in their fishing dept. I've heard both good and bad about Dick's.

9. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Attached Files:

10. jason's girl r u the capt's girl?

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I've got a humminbird smartcast for sale in the Marketplace section if you are interested for him!

12. Ive Been Using The Port Eagle For 5 Years And Its Been A Good Graph.
    I Put The 12v Hook Up In The Summer Boating And The 8-d Batt For Ice. Variable Graph Speeds For Trollin And A Great Learning Tool.
    Would Buy Another For 100 Bucks! :)