close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portable depth finder

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by I'm G'na Ms Her, Nov 8, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about getting a portable depth/fish finder. Anyone have any positive or negative suggestions. I'll only be using it one week a year on a Canada trip

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I bought an Eagle three (3) years ago and love it. I used the same batteries two years before i changed them . They were still working! Good for those trips up north. I use mine a month each time I go up. In the spring and in the fall. Never had a problem at all.

3. larry2473

larry2473 nw ohio flatheads

I bought a smart cast by humming bird it is all right i guess dont mark alot of fish but i bought it to find structure in resivoirs and ponds it does a pretty good job of that I like it for what i use it for it serves it pupose and now they got them where you can use the castable transducer on some of the new hummingbird fish finders for your boat along with the one mounted on your boat

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I also have the humminbird smart cast. I just have the wristwatch model. I have used it from my boat and while shore fishing. It does not have the quality to find exact shapes in structure, but it does give you a good idea. I have used it several times to "see" if there were any fish in the area I was fishing. It works great. I just wish I would have used it more. Some times it is hard to use that when you can just start casting away! The few times I used it and marked lots of fish, I would try that spot and sure enough I owuld catch something. I plan on using it in the spring to get and idea of where some crappie may be.

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I had a hummingbird for 5 years. It served its purpose very well. When i could afford to upgrade to an eagle, i did. The diffrence in quality was unbelievable. Had 100 pixels on the bird, 240 on the eagle. It was like going from a 5" tv picture to a 27" picture, in quality and detail. Sold the bird to a friend for $40. Bought a transducer mounting bracket for my trolling motor and now when i use a rental boat on an electric motor only lake, i can switch it back and forth. You can get an eagle for less than you think. Check their prices in the cabela's catalog.

6. I Have Both An Hummingbird Perm. Mount And An Eagle Portable. I Use The Eagle Most Of The Time Being Compatable For D Batt. To 12 Volt. Gives Me Choice Of Graft Speeds,echo Type And Is Real Use Full For Ice Fishing. Had It 6 Years For 100 Bucks And Never Had A Problem! Using It Tommorrow On My Boat! :)

7. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I have a Hummingbird 200sx but it is now broke less than 1 year (don't know what happended) but it was very cool while it did work still have the unit with battery case and transducer..I will sell the portable kit and transducer but you would need a unit, you can probably find one on here or ebay. it turns on but doesn trasmit signal.I will sell what I have for 25 bucks, pick up any kind of Bird unit and everything else is the same. Let me know if you want it. if you buy new get a Eagle or Lowrance.

8. I use the portable eagle when I fish up north in the jon boats. Works extremely well. I use a rechargeable battery, 8V. We don't have access to recharging the battery all the time, but I haven't had it go bad on me once and I am up there 2 weeks. It is all compact, with the battery and finder on the same station. I use the cup transducer. Works EXTREMELY well.