pork sausage recipes

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by bigcrappiehammer, Dec 28, 2008.

1. since pork is on sale at giant eagle i want to make sausage? i bought a loin (bone in) $1.17 per lbs. plan on making sausage but want to tweak my recipe. i plan on smoking some and fresh cased and uncased or maybe try something new. any body have any good recipes?

2. I would NOT use a bone in pork loin for sausage! cook it as a roast or cut it into chops. the BEST cut of pork for sausage is a pork butt. check giant eagle for sale prices on those as well or go to sam's.

try googling "sausge recipes", should be a ton.

3. bigcrappiehammer,

I've made a good amount of sausage using the whole loin. It does end up prety dry. I think I'm going to use a whole loin and a few of the butt roasts this year to add some fat/moisture wile keeping it on the lean side.

Boatnut, thanks for the links!! Plenty of good choices to try!!

4. BrianSipe17

BrianSipe17 Brilliant!

I agree with the others here. Loin is too lean. I would mix it with a fattier cut.

5. i got the fat for free so i will just add some. i already thought about that :) the only reason i am useing the loin is the price the pork butt costs more. i bought six loins so i made chops and roasts out of two. i am going to smoke some chops cajon style if i can find a friends recipe.
    boss a local butcher will save fat trimmings and sell them at a low price. we would save trimming for this reason when i worked at a meat market in high school

6. If you are looking for something good to make with pork loin you should try Canadian or back bacon. It is not difficult to make and tastes incredible. This is the recipe I use and I can't get enough of it. I have two loins in the refrigerator right now.

...if you don't have a smoker this would work just as well in the oven.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=500#post500

Canadian Bacon
    Boneless pork loin (size will depend on how much bacon you want to make.)
    1 Tbl. Morton Tender Quick (or Basic Dry Cure) per pound
    1 tsp. dark brown sugar per pound
    1 tsp. garlic powder per pound
    1 tsp. onion powder per pound

Directions:
    Trim fat and silver skin from pork loin.
    Cut into 3 to 4 pound sections.
    Weight each section.
    Make a note of the weight of each piece before measuring the dry ingredients.
    Measure all dry ingredients for each section of meat based on the weight of each section, and thoroughly mix.
    Example if you have two sections; one weighting 4 pounds and one weighting 3 pounds, measure all the dry ingredients for the 4 pound piece and place that in one bowl; and measure all the ingredients you will use on the 3 pound piece and put that in a separate bowl.
    Rub the entire mixture on to the loin.
    Make sure to cover all surfaces, and work the dry cure into any crevices in the meat.
    Place loins into separate one gallon sealable plastic bags, and remove as much air as possible.
    Cure meat in the refrigerator at 36- 40 F
    My refrigerator was at 38 F.
    Due to the thickness of the loin you will need to cure them for 6 days.
    Once a day turn meat over.
    You do not have to open the bags, if some liquid has formed give the bag a few shakes to redistribute the liquid.
    When the loins are fully cured, remove loins from plastic bags and thoroughly rinse off.
    Soak loin pieces in about three gallons of cool water for 30 minutes; remove from soak and pat dry.
    Refrigerate uncovered overnight, or long enough to allow to dry and to form pellicle on the surface.
    You may also see an iridescent sheen on the surface. *
    Place loins into a 225 F preheated Bradley.
    Apply maple smoke for 1:40 to 2:00 hours.
    Continue to cook until an internal temperature of 140 F - 150 F is reached. The higher you take the internal temperature, the less moisture will remain in the meat.
    It is important to take the internal temperature of each piece of loin. **

I now only take may Canadian Bacon to 140 F. The texture and moistness is much better. If you decide to use the 140 F temperature, make sure that your probe is in the thickest part of the meat. After it the meat reaches 140 F, slowly move the probe in and out. If there is a drop in temperature, leave the probe at that spot and continue to cook until the 140 F internal temperature is reached. If you have a good instant read thermometer, also use that to get your final reading.
    Remove loins from smoker, and tent foil until loins are cool enough to be handled by hand.
    Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap.
    Refrigerate for at least two days.
    Cut into 1/8 inch thick slices and serve
    (if serving with crackers you may have to quarter each slice.)

7. now i have to buy another loin for canadian bacon. i need ice to fish on.

8. Buck,
    I do the same thing but use High Mountain Seasonings "buckboard bacon cure". your method is probably cheaper. I love that stuff. Also use same cure on a pork butt but cure for ten days then smoke. cool and slice thin and you have really good "buckboard bacon".

9. Buckboard is good. I like using the MTQ because you can always have it on hand and it only costs a few bucks. I get my supplies from Butcher & Packer. The other nice thing is you can try different things. I never change the amount of MTQ since it is the cure. The two I have in the fridge were made with MTQ, dark brown sugar and maple syrup.

The original recipe above works well with venison backstraps too.

10. Making sausage is great isn't guys? My wife got me the grinder and stuffer attachment for her kitchen aid mixer and between my dad and I we have 3 deer in the freezer and we are both stocking up on pork shoulders this week. We did about 30lbs of sausage last year and will probably do more than that this year. I have only used the pre mixed seasoning packets but am going to add a little extra to some stuff this year. Going to make some tobasco brats and lots of summer sausage. I plan on smoking most of mine. I got several shoulders a few weeks ago, a place in Circleville had them on sale for 98 cents a pound!

11. Hey twister, i hope your wife's kitchenaid holds up better than mine. I gave it a coronary making sausage. If it is possible, cabela's makes agreat grinder for a reasonable price. It has the stuffer attachment with it. For the amounts you're doing, the 1/2 hp would be great. I have a 1/2 and a 1hp, but we do 4 hogs at a time.

Boatnut - Thanks for the links, always looking for a new sausage!

I am sure glad we butcher hogs in a month, you all have me drooling.

12. I got this one from Northern Tool and it works great. I paid around $100 for it and it is 0.8 hp.

http://www2.northerntool.com/food-processing/grinders/item-168620.htm

[​IMG]

13. Thanks for the tips on the kitchen aid grinder guys. If it seems to be getting too much of a work out I can use the hand grinder, thats what I used before and got along ok. I'm sure how the stuffer attachment will work but I'll give it a try. I've got a stuffer attachment for the hand grinder and it doesnt work all that great. My dad has a jerky cannon that we used to stuff with and it did a fine job but the tube only holds about 1.5lbs so even with an extra tube it still took a while. If the stuffer attachment doesnt work well my next investment will be a 5lb verticle stuffer.