Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 5 days on Cave Run with noting but poppers. I caught a ton of gills, small bass, and even a nice crappie (my first one on the fly rod). I’m 75% sure that I had a muskie take my popper. I did not see it happen, but it was tight line, big boil, line cut. Probably a good thing as I can’t imagine how I would have landed a muskie with an 30 year old 8’ glass fly rod in a kayak 100 yards from shore.

I’ve never done well on the bass a Cave Run with conventional tackle. But, the popper is awesome on that lake. A lot of thick submerged grass. The boys in the bass boats must have thought I was crazy out there in the rain, but it was a good time. Not a lot of size, but sometimes numbers trump size.

Still working to “master” my popping technique. I just can’t seem to find a pattern. Fast, loud, slow, wait forever…they are seem to work equally well. I’m getting ready to order some more Boogle Bugz. I still have not destroyed one, but I did loose one. I think that I’m using size 6 poppers…any advantage to moving up to a size 4? I’m not a big fan of changing color, and I’m a HUGE fan of black, but is there any good reason to get some different colors?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Sounds like a killer time, there is not much that beats popper fishing panfish and bass. I would recommend the #4 over the 6, you don't gain to much size but the fly has more mass and a larger cup so the bigger ones are easier to pop and work. Black has always been one of my favorites in the past, though I now use lots of chartreuse because it's easy to see, I don't know if the fish care but I carry every color available so I don't get bored, but chartreuse gets used the most.

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
Poppers in all white, chartruse and green (frog colored)...have all produced well for me...may want to try size 4 with a weedless hook....and 8lb tippet....Bass and Gills on a fly rod are fun....and you'll catch a pike or muskey unexpectedly if you use those often....been there done that.....

:B:B:B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.