close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pop Ups and spam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CountryKat, Aug 9, 2004.

1. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Does anyone have a FREE download that I can use to keep all of the african (help me I'm a prisoner) and I have 57 million bucks to give away for your help, messages from coming in. I get about 25/day and about 50 other emails from mortgage brokers. Not to mention all the pop-ups I'm getting.
    Thanks

2. Dingo

Dingo

Don't know of one at this time, other than changing to another email ID. But, to stop this from happening again, NEVER put your email in a public forum in the "traditional" format (see your prior post). There are many programs out there that scan these public forums for anything in the "user@domain.com" format, and use them in their distribution lists, since most will be quite accurate. If you must do so, use a different format, like "user -at- domain -dot- com".

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

For the pop-ups..download the free version of Adaware at www.lavasoft.com
    As far as the e-mail goes..I am sure there is a better way,but when I recieve an unwanted e-mail.I use the block sender function in Outlook Express.

4. I Still Get Pop Ups After Using 3 Block Poppers, Stoppers,moppers,toppers,boppers..nothing Seems To Work.blah////////

5. To be honest I haven't noticed a popup since I quit using IE. I switched to Mozilla Firefox to try it out for work and haven't gone back. It has some quirks and things that need to be worked on, but overall it's a fast reliable browser for me and doesn't seem to be plagued with all the problems IE has with trojans, spy/adware and popups. not to mention, Mozilla is available for the friendly price of FREE. Just do a websearch for mozila or firefox and you should be able to find it. I still run adaware every month or two to clean up anything that may have snuck in. I also make sure to keep my antivirus up to date all the time. One other thing I do is to enable the built in firewall in XP despite being behind a hardware firewall both at work and home. Maybe I've just been lucky so far in avoiding popups, but I figured I'd throw imy experiences into the discussion.

Barry