close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pop up ad

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintiger, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Since when did we start having pop up ads when you come on to this site? I thought I was going crazy earlier in the day when it came up but I had just switched from a site that usually has pop ups. Then I logged on just now and it came up again. Are we prostituting the site out to pop up ads to keep it running?

Curious minds want to know.

fishintiger

2. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

I'm with Fishintiger on this one. At one time, I had 3 different ads pop up. Do I now have to run a pop-up blocker when viewing this site, like I do on so many other sites I visit?

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Okay, I'll address this one.

First of all, there are no pop-over ads here. The only ads you should see are pop-under. Pop-under meaning they will show BELOW your browser window. Any ads showing ABOVE your browser window are not coming from this site.

Secondly, pop-under ads from this site have been specifically targeted to be at a minimum. If you are finding you are receiving a popunder ad more frequently than every 12 hours, email us at contact@ohiogamefishing.com

Advertisements help continue to make this site free, and that is why you will see banner ads and the like. If these are offensive in any nature, we want to hear about it, and urge you to contact us. the proper channel to report any abuse is to email us at contact@ohiogamefishing.com

Thanks.

4. What is the difference between the "pop over" and "pop under" ads? They both are annoying. I have to close it whether it is under my current screen or over my current screen.

fishintiger

5. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Pop over ads will pop up in front of your OGF screen. Pop-under ads will show up behind your OGF screen, and you won't see them until OGF closes.

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Thought I would ask here. Tiger.......are you clicking on any of the banners to get any of the pop ups, or are they coming by themselves? Also..... how many are you getting?

Also.......soemthing to consider......spyware (and let me state that this banner program is 100% guaranteed spyware free.....we have even checked)..... If you have spyware cookies, toolbars, etc. that have come from other sites you have visited, programs you downloaded, etc......they can generate massive amts of pop-ups/unders just by "recognizing" another banner advertising program. Bascially a way to "put themselves ahead" of the other banner rotation.

There are plenty of spyware programs out there. I personally use Webroot's Spysweeper.....found at http://www.webroot.com This is a top knotch program. It will alert you to cookies that are spyware, and immediately quarantine them. You can also set it to scan your system on an hourly, daily, weekly, monthly etc. basis to find any spyware programs that may be running on your system. You'll be amazed what you'll find.....especially the 1st time you use it. This is one of the better programs out there.......and with the banner rotation on OGF.......I have not found 1 cookie or program from it. Not a trace.

7. Let me be the first to say:

If they keep the site free then so be it.

Thanks for making sure they are a non-disruptive as possible.

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Thanks for the support guys. I wasn't a huge fan of them (still not to be honest), but if you saw the bills we have to cover you would understand that they are a necessary evil. We tried to make them as non obtrusive as possible, and we are watching them like a HAWK.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

To back up what Shake is saying.......the program is being scanned on a daily basis for ANY and I mean ANY trace of spyware, or anything that does not look "good". The program is guaranteed to not have any spyware, and to be totally customizable to the way you see fit. I agree........I don't like ads anymore than the next guy.......but if they are kept as non-annoying as possible, there shouldn't be much of a problem with them.

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I am on here many hours a day and I don't recall even one pop-up that came from this site.

Kim

11. Hey T-pet at home I have webroot's spysweeper running. So I don't think I have any spyware. Here at work I don't think I have anything to protect against spyware. I haven't clicked on any banners here to get anything else to open up. I understand about having to use the pop unders to pay for bills. I was just surprised when it happened. I just figured that maybe this would have been brought up before it was put into place. It's not a real big deal. I don't even look at what the pop under ads say. I just right click on it in the bar and close it.

fishintiger

12. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

How many have you actually had? I just did a 50 browser refresh, and didn't get a single one.

13. In the last three days when I have logged in I have gotten a total of 3. Yeah it's not a lot compared to some websites (columbus dispatch) that have them everytime you switch pages. Like I said they aren't that big of a deal just a little annoying.

fishintiger

14. DavidWS10

Shawn, I've had 5 in the past 36 hours.

15. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Ok. Now I need to ask. Have you clicked on any of the banners in the banner rotation to get the pop ups?

16. DavidWS10

17. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Thanks. That is the information that is going to be helpful to us :)

18. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

the banners should not be causing on-going popunders. They will launch a new browser window though.

19. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

i only get one everytime i log in...but thats it....as long as i am loged in i dont get another one.

Mitch

20. Dingo

Dingo

If you click on the banner for "hotbar" (improved browser, add graphics to emails, etc.), you will see an increase in pop-up ads. Once installed on your PC, it may slow the browser and is a pain to eliminate. Here's a note on the application:

"Hotbar works with third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our web sites and use the Service, including the toolbars. Two of these third parties are DoubleClick and Engage. Such companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to our and other web sites and use of the Service, including the toolbars, in combination with non-personally identifiable information about your purchases and interests from other online and offline sources, in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you."

In other words, targeted marketing thru popups based on where you surf, and especially, order. More info:

Potentially Dangerous Programs That Should Be Avoided:
    -----------------------------------------------------

The following software downloads are considered dangerous because they can be installed accidentally and can result in privacy and security issues as well as create system instability and computer crashes. Installation of these programs can occur simply by visiting a particular Internet web site and then inadvertently clicking the "Yes" button instead of "No" or "Cancel" button that is displayed in a pop-up window. Programs that are known to have caused problems for computers include:

Hotbar (or "Hotbar Toolbar")
    Xupiter (or "Xjupiter")
    Gator (or "Precision Time/Date Manager")
    Comet Cursor (or "The Comet Cursor Plus")

While these programs are not considered viruses, they represent a serious security concern because they are designed to gather personal data, such as a history of web sites visited or the text entered into on-line forms, and report this data back to an external company. These programs have also been associated with serious computer stability problems including intermittent crashing of applications and entire systems. All clients therefore strongly advised to avoid using these programs on their computer systems.