close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poor Man's Shrimp?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Mushijobah, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you had any recipes for Poor Man's Shrimp. For those who don't know, it uses freshwater drum. It is a delicious dish. My Dad's friend used to make it, and I would like to know the best way of doing so. I know it involves boiling stripped filets in salt water and cutting them into squares...but I need specifics.

FYI: No. This thread is not a joke. A 1-2 lb. drum is delicious (even fried). The old Northern Ohio wisetail of drum tasteing like doo doo is not needed! Don't knock it until you have tried it!

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i haven't fixed it myself,but ate my share(and then some)of sheephead when i was younger.can't be all that bad if i ate that much;)
    here's a recipe for poor man's shrimp from ohio seagrant................

1/4C French dressing
    3 tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp ground ginger
    2 lbs freshwater drum fillets

Combine dressing, soy sauce, and ginger. Place unfrozen fillets in 13x9 inch baking dish and pour dressing mixture over fish. Let stand 15 minutes.

Broil fillets about 4 inches from heat source for 10-15 minutes or until fillets flake apart easily with a fork. Baste once during broiling with sauce in pan. Serves 6.

another simple way is just cut in chunks and boil in salted (couple tablespoons) water.chill and serve with cocktail sauce.

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thank you sir! I have been spot casting to aggressive drum in my local stream and have been wanting to try PMS again....WAIT!!!....Poor Man's Shrimp!:D

4. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I'll start eating Sheephead as soon as world war III starts. Another, very good, similar thing to that is what I always heard called 'poor mans lobster', but it should be called poor mans crab. I use the gills that we catch that the filets are really too small to fry. Toss the filets in a crab boil mix for no more than a minute or so, until they turn from translucent to white, remove and eat with cocktail sauce or melted butter. Tastes exactly like crab legs to me. May work exactly the same with drum if you cut the filets thin.

5. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

What is this 'crab boil mix'?

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

7. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

You can buy crab boil in dry packets like taco mix and dry salad dressing or you can make it yourself with seasonings of your like. I recommend using cheap stale beer as a base no matter which way you do it. I use about one can of beer to each two cups of water. Best way to boil any kind of seafood IMO.