Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows of any accessible ponds withing a twenty minute drive of Gahanna? I typically fish big walnut with mixed results but it will be blown out for a few days? I have fished Friendship park but the algae was very heavy last year and I have had little success this year?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The ponds at Hannah Farms park off of Clark State have some good bass in them. I have pulled multiple 4 and 5 pounders out of them. They are catch and release, but they are close to my house and I hit them if I do not have enough time to take the kayak out and still want to get a line wet.. Jefferson community park also has a pond, but I have not had much success there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live 3 minutes from jefferson park. I've fished it a few times w/ my kids. Every trip I've always caught a handful of crappie. I've briefly checked out Hannah park but it was really crowded so I didn't fish. I didn't tthink it looked to promising but I may check it out again due to your comment!

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Hannah park was a gold mine after it was built but since then has been hammered. I used to fish a little while my kids played and always caught a couple 3-4lb bass. Those ponds are small and the pressure there has been enormous.

·
saltwater sensei
371 Posts
You must be a far superior human than me frshwater_newb
Not really, but I did take a look at all your other posts before teasing you about it.

Nearly all of your posts have been questions and trolling for info. Try offering up some information one of these days. Giving back to the community, ya see?

I, too, have soooo many questions, but I also try and offer information when I can. Try it some time . Feels good man.

:)

OP: sorry for hijacking thread. I'll stop now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your message gave me my first good giggle of the day! Thanks!
I do not offer up much info because I only have a couple tricks up my sleeve, but here goes,
I have fished big walnut from 270 to the dam. I like the area around Friendship park, lots of wadable area south of the park. I have caught smallies, rock bass, suckers, saugeye, and gar. I have spent most of my time fishing with clouser minnows and deer hair bugs. I recently started spin fishing this year again mainly because my fishing time comes after the kids come to bed so time i limited.
I have fished at Wood-side green park at the creek, wading south, I have caught the same varieties of fish. I have talked to guys who also landed large mouth in the creek. The pond used to be good-but I have lost my faith in it-I did catch a couple large mouth babies that appeared stocked, so maybe next year.
Big walnut seems to be better in years they have consistently let out water over the top.
I have fished Hannah park in the past-but there are these annoying little greenish sunfish things that I suspect are stocked that are very aggressive but fight poorly and never seem to get big. I have also caught bluegill and small mouth there.

I used to fish the Mad once a month but not any more.

·
saltwater sensei
371 Posts
@gahannafly: I hope you didn't think that my snarky comment was directed at you. I was merely poking fun at Fish-N-Dip72 for being a lazy internet user.

My apologies to you if there was any confusion in that regards. I seem to have hijacked your thread again, but I just wanted to make sure that I clear that up.

·
Those BLASTED darn bass
156 Posts
gahannafly: try some of these ponds in Dublin. There a lots of them and some have some nice fish in them. I've caught 12-14" LM, and some good size Gills out of some that really surprised me. They're parks and EZ to access. You just might be pleasantly surprised. ------Darby Rat

1 - 20 of 32 Posts