Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I went with my freind to his farm pond, about 3 acres, which he has stocked with largemouth, crappie, hybrids/stripers, and various other fish. At this pond he has a dock and directly underneath the dock at almost any time, there is about 50 of these fish swimming in a school. Now I've tried every method I know to get these fish to react to something but nothing interest them. No one has ever hooked and landed one of them with a traditional method. I also now that he hand feeds them every morning and evening with bulk fish food. When he throws the food in the fish boil the surface, I've never seen anything like it. Looking at these fish from the surface I'd say they are anywhere from 20" to 30" not sure to be exact, however I do know there are some horses in there. Also there appears to be about 3 or 4 giant largemouth that also swim in the school. The only succesful way of catching them is with a very small almost flyfishing hook, and a piece of this fish food, thrown in with a handful of food. My question is simply have these fish gotten lazy, and only eat free meals? And if they haven't got lazy, how does a pond this small with minimal baitfish support this school, or are they only alive because of the scheduled feedings? And finally does anyone know of a true way of fishing for these pond wipers, the fish food hook definetly feels like cheating.Thanks alot and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
430 Posts
stripersforlife,

The fish are catchable, but it depends on how regularly and how often the owner feeds the fish. I work at Marlows Fisheries and we have alot of big Largemouth and Striped Hybrids in a couple of our lakes. We very rarly feed in these lakes anymore because there is enough forage for them to substain on, so catcing these fish is more like fishing in a realy nice stocked farm pond. However if the fish are fed regularly they are literally trained to feed when they hear the feed hitting the water. I know of a couple high dollar paylakes that when you go out they give you a hand full of food to get them roused up, and then they just put a piece on and fish on. I know what your saying about feeling like your cheating, but if you want to have a heck of a fight on your hand I say kick back and enjoy the fight!

Dave

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes the livers work well.I was fishing a pond out in Madison county.Had a big bite.I had it to the bank an saw the big scales on the side of it.I thought it was a carp.Pulled it out of the water it was 32" long.It won the in-fisherman big fish for that year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts