close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pond stocking??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chopper, Aug 7, 2004.

1. I built a great 1 1/2 acre pond last year. Its 16 feet deep to 3 feet deep. I stocked it with the correct ratio of bass to bluegills and added some perch. I put 3000 fathead minnows in it at first and added 2000 more this spring. They are reproducing more minnows already. The perch and gills are growing great. The problem is I don't think the bass are growing. They were 4-6 inch last Oct. I am letting the kids play with the gills now and every so often they get a bass. The biggest bass so far is only 7 inches. Shouldn't they be doing better than this. I also feed a dry fish food everyother day. Any ideas??

2. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

We started a pond at work and our bass were 2 to 4 " when we put them in. I put in bluegills and would have liked to put in fat head minnows but never got around to it. We put them in in april 2001. By fall they were all pretty small 5 or 6 inches. The next summer and fall they were about 8 to 12 inches. the third year they were all around 12 to 17 inches. I have yet to see any evidence of a successful reproduction yet. Havn't seen any on nests or caught any 4 or 5 inchers. The gills are reproducing well and some are 8 to 9 inches. I would give your pond 3 years till you have nice catchable fish. Good luck.

3. Ya I agree! Give your pond some time, before you know it you will have 5 pound bass! lol

4. I know a few people who have had good luck stocking ponds by catching bass, bluegill, etc. from other ponds and releasing them in the new pond. You get bigger fish than fingerlings and you can start fishing for them sooner. I know it would DRIVE ME CRAZY to put in a pond and then have to wait 2-3 years for fish to get to a catchable size.

5. Careful putting perch in a pond. They're very aggressive and will compete with the bass for food, especially when they're similar in size. Within a few years of putting perch in our biggest pond, I was catching them 13"-15" long. Now, they are severely over populated and the place is full of 4" perch.