Pond report 5-10

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jmenchhofer, May 15, 2008.

1. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

This is kind of late, since I haven't been online much this week, but I wanted to post it in case anyone else could use the info...

I fished a local pond from 5:55 to 7:40 am. Weather was calm with heavy fog. Most of the time I fished a whole live nightcrawler on a small straight-shanked hook (#6 or #8), weightless to avoid the weeds that are already beginning to grow on the bottom. If the weeds aren't so bad, I usually use a small bullet weight. Cast out, let the worm sink for several seconds, then slowly "bounce" it back, plastic worm style. Watch the line carefully when not moving the worm, that's when they usually pick it up. This method produced 5 bass between 13 and 15 1/2" long, as well as a bonus 6 bluegill that will see the frying pan sometime soon. Also had one bass break off. It wasn't any bigger than the others, my line must have been nicked.:(

It was a lot of fun on ultra-light tackle, and a very nice way to start off a Saturday morning! :G

The previous Saturday I caught a couple on a weightless Zoom Double Ringer worm (watermelon candy), but it was digging into the weeds too much this time. I think I'll try a fluke next time. What's everyone else catching their pond bass on right now??

2. carterfish

carterfish FISH-ON

I fished a buddys pond and only got a few dinks

3. Havent been to the pond for a couple of weeks, but what works good sometimes for me is, weight less plastic worm, like you said, or a POP-R in Black & Silver. They cant stand that pop-r sometimes. Even caught a crappie on it last spring. That was a first for me.

If you pond gets a floating weed mat, try a floating frog, can be a lot of fun, but hard to hook every strike.

4. I have been catching bass on a white spinnerbait also i have been throwing a white senko weightless. A two hour trip caught 15 with just me and my girlfriend. In a farm pond by my house.

5. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

Thanks for the tips, guys. Funny you should mention the Pop-R, Buckeye Mike, because I just tied one on to try first thing in the morning. I figure the nightcrawlers will work too, but I'll probably try the Pop-R until it's light enough to see my line. I'm also planning on trying a weightless fluke. I think it will stay out of the weeds better than the worm I was using.

This pond does mat up something terrible in late June-early July. I used a Strike King Grass Frog quite a bit last summer, but definitely had a miserable hookup-to-strike ratio.:(

6. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

Fished the same pond this morning from 5:40-7:40 AM. Fishing was a more difficult due to the wind, but the live nightcrawlers were still good for 5 bass. This time they only ranged from 10-13". Most were caught relatively close to the bank. I also caught 3 bluegill and a crappie. I didn't really get to give the Pop-R a fair shot. On about the fifth or sixth cast, I did a little "roll cast" and accidentally smacked the lure on the water, resulting in the worst backlash I've had in years. :( So the baitcaster went back in the car and I was down to two spinning rods, one with the live nightcrawler, the other with a fluke. The fluke did stay out of the weeds better than the worm, but i didn't catch any fish on it, just got one hit that I know of.

7. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

Fished the same pond again this evening from 8:40 to 9:50 pm. Compared to yesterday's weather, the wind was very cold, but I was able to catch 8 bass in the 12-13" range on a weightless Zoom Centipede in watermelon seed. The vegetation is already getting pretty thick, but most is still well below the surface, so the weightless centipede worked well as it is pretty light and sinks slowly. Water temperature was 55 degrees this past Saturday morning, and was up to 61 degrees this evening.