close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pond issues

Discussion in 'Pond Management' started by fishingful, Nov 22, 2017.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

So just bought a property that has 3 ponds on it. So far I have identified a duckweed issue, muskrat issue and a beaver issue. There are trees all around it that are either chewed down or girtled.

Any suggestions? I don't know what fish are in it yet. We got the property today.

2. I can't help you with the critters or weed but congrats on the new property. Wow, three ponds! ;)

3. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

Thanks, the majority of the 2.53 acres is ponds. I can't complain

4. What part of the state ?? A trapper is your best bet for the muskrats & beaver ; the overload of nutrients need to be controlled for the duckweed.

5. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

It would be in the NE. By Punderson Lake and Burton in Geauga County.

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

I have found a treatment for the duckweed.

7. I can help you find out what fish are in the ponds. LOL

8. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Got to ask - what do you do for the duckweed? My MIL has a small pond that is taken over with the stuff.

9. Muskrat and beaver almost always cause problems with ponds. It's trapping season so you can find someone to trap them out. Or a lawn chair, cooler of beer, and a rifle will get some of them.

Saugeyefisher and Shortdrift like this.
  10. Muddy

Muddy

I lived on a farm in Wisconsin with 5 ponds. The muskrats were borrowing into the levies. I spent many late summer evenings shooting muskrats. One fall day a trapper stopped by and asked if he could trap rats. I told him sure, but I thought that I had probably killed most of them. He chuckled and said that he might just surprise me. He set up and caught 18 the first night. I was very surprised.

Saugeyefisher and T-180 like this.
  11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

Lol there are gills for sure in them. Have to wait till ice to find out. I don't know how deep they are. Been to busy at work.

Just do a search for duck weed killer. There are tons of products that will work.

12. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

Other problem with the rats is it's connected to a larger lake that is connected to another than ends up at Punderson. So not sure I can control the problem.

13. Control the problem is correct; you can't eliminate the muskrats because more will move in. We have them try to move in every couple years & I just get rid of them as quickly as I can.