close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pond Ice

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Shortdrift, Jan 11, 2005.

1. I noticed a number of ponds have not thawed during the recent rain and warmer weather. We should start getting new ice next week based on the long term weather report. Many of the un-thawed ponds will look inviting but will be a real prime candidate for breaking through due to the current rotten ice. REMEMBER! BE CAREFUL and DON"T GO IT ALONE! Wear your ice picks and take some rope with you. This re-freeze is going to make many ponds very dangerous.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Looking at the extended........it looks VERY good if they are right. Keep your fingers crossed gang. You might actually be able to get those vex's out in about 10-12 days :D

3. I am not really an ice guy but may try the pond scene in a couple of weeks if it freezes up. I was wondering though. Is the Erie ice a total bust for the season? I don't want to know because I am headed there but merely questioning.

By the way you mentioned old ice being on ponds. I don't think anyone is going to find any old ice around central Ohio. Mother nature made sure of that.;)

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Brian,

There are several ponds around the Marion area that still have ice on top if you can believe it or not. That's after almost 6" of rain! LOL. Anywho......if I were to venture to guess.....I'd say most Erie icing will be a bust. Ther eis still a chance that the islands will lock up, but I highly doubt you will be able to get there w/o air boat or plane this year.

5. it seems every year, lately, it's a similar story. it doesn't seem that erie will ice up and then bam, everything changes. the water is at a temperature that could freeze up fast. it wouldn't take much of a cold snap to change things. true, it doesn't look like it now but if i've learned one thing, it's that i can NEVER trust the weather guessers. the other thing is that it usually does freeze up between the islands and it's usually iffy everywhere else.

pik-n-fin

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Im at the same latitude (or is it longitude?) as shortdrift, all the ponds that ive seen are still ice covered....and since new ice is created at the bottom of the ice layer (from what i understand), it will be difficult or impossible to determine ice quality just by looking at it.

7. ice cube

ice cube icecube

There is no ice here in southeastern Ohio. Dillion Lake is completely flooded and a lot of roads are closed around that area. I'm not for sure what the outcome around here will be if we get a stretch of cold weather. I do believe the fish have been gorging themselves with all the run offs.
    :) The CUBE