close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pond Fishing- Great Day

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pharley, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Took my 3 yr old son to the local FOP pond in Marion Co. He had a blast reeling in about 15 bluegills, and he did manage one just over 9". Not bad for a toddler! About the time we were leaving. some huge bass were coming into the shallows, obviously to feed. I could see bass after bass. Ended up catching a 19" 5 pounder on a YoZuri minnow. Son couldnt belive fish that big were in there. There are some monsters in that pond. I have caught a 7+ lb bass out of there, and a guy I know says he caught an 8+ pounder. Thing is, the water is so clear, and there are so many damn bluegill in there, it is hard to get them to bite. But when they do, it is always a battle.

I would like to take Marshall, Dale, or Phil there and see what they could pull out!

2. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Hey buddy, you can get those big fish yourself I'm sure. Wait till the weather breaks and get cooler. Almost when you think it is too cold to fish and then throw a jig and pig and just crawl it on the bottom. Late fall, a warm winter day, or early spring(feb or march). Usually this time of the year is when you get the big ones. No better lure will do it for you than a jig and pork in a natural looking color. Do this and usually it will let you know what is in the pond . I love cold water pond fishing, give it a try. A topwater at night may get you a big one now though. Good luck.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

The master has spoken. The Bahhh master.

Just kidding. He knows his stuff.

4. Except when I go fishing with him :D

:) He sure does

5. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

6. I would take the challange of trying to outsmart one of those monsters. I have caught one or two big bass on small bluegills while bluegill fishing. You could always try fishing with a small bluegill late in the day or early in the morning. Or try throwing out a 6 inch lizard with one small BB splitshot ahead of it.

7. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

That is how I caught the 7+ lb monster, with a 3 1/2" live bluegill under a bobber. Tossed it in the deep end and it was under within a minute.

The pond is in Marion County, about 3 minutes east of Marion right off Rt 23. If anyone wants to come fish it, drop me a line. I am off Sun-Mon-Tue's, and always love to throw in. Small pond full of huge bass, bluegill, some crappie, 15+ pound catfish, 20+ pound snapping turtles.

8. irishfisherman

I would be VERY interested in fishing it someday, I'll certainly have to take you up on that offer Pharley, sounds like a fun place lol how big is it ?
    A guy in the NW OH section was telling me about a 10acre pond now open to public fishing in Bowling Green with some fine bass, and plenty of bluegill too.. I have directions if anybody wants them, hoping to go up in the next week or so

9. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Just beware.....the pond is not big. I can cast over to the other side of the pond around 1/2 of it, then it widens out a bit. But the pond is not that big at all. It is very clear now, and I'm hoping the moss dies off soon. When it starts to cool, PM me, and we'll give it a go.

10. irishfisherman

hey that sounds like fun though, pulling fish out of a small and CLEAR pond like that, what are we talking.. about 1/2 acre ?
    Where abouts on the East side is it, is it off of 95 or 309?

11. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Its off 309, right before Caledonia.