Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Last night I went to fish at pickerington lake. Unfortunately, fishing was prohibited and the lake was confined for research purposes. My plan was to go to three creeks metro park but as I was driving away, I saw a pond in a housing development. The pond was public, so I decided to fish it since the time read 7:30 pm, and there were only a couple hours of light left.

Within the first 15 minutes, I landed my first bass on a chatterbait, a small one, but any bass at a new place gives me the confidence that a big one could be my next fish. I then hooked a solid 1.75 lb bass after half an hour or so. My next fish came about 15 minutes later, and I was shocked to find a health 19.5 inch walleye come out of the small pond, with my thermometer reading water temperatures at 82 degrees. I didn't catch any more fish for another hour or so, and on the last cast of the night, I manage to land a big 5 lb catfish.

A local that fished there for several years now told me he never saw a walleye come out of that pond, and he hypothesized that someone threw it in there recently. I agreed with him, predicting that the fish wouldn't be able to live in such warm water much longer, the deepest area in the pond was only 10 feet or so.

For the first time since fishing in Ohio, all of my fish caught today came from powerfishing techniques. Whenever I fish a new body of water, I always start with a fast moving lure to cover water and get a feel of what kind of fish there are, if any. The combination of stained pond water and decreasing light levels lended perfectly to a solid chatterbait/spinnerbait fishing session.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Nice! I know that pond! I see a lot of kids fishing it with their parents, probably from the neighborhoof. I'd imagine they stocked it with a variety of fish including the cat and saugeye....although that fish did have a bronze non-mottled appearance of a walleye. It would just be less likely than a saugeye.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know where you're talking about. I lived in that neighborhood for about 2 years. People fished it all the time. I never thought there was fish in it, now I will have to try it!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know where you're talking about. I lived in that neighborhood for about 2 years. People fished it all the time. I never thought there was fish in it, now I will have to try it!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Never assume there aren't fish in any body of water until you've fished it :D

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Like the vids man and nice fish

Dont tell anyone the location of the pond it will be over fished and quick

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.