close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

pond cats

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishintechnician, Aug 21, 2007.

1. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

i went to a private pond on saturday night. it was my first time at this pond and when i arrived i was a little disappointed. at first it reminded me of one of those ponds you see in the middle of a cow pasture, very small, moss and muddy water. but after fishing it i will definetly go back. my buddy that went with me caught 2 nice large mouth, both being almost 5#. i caught 5 blue cats,1-26in, 2-29in,2-30in and 1-32in. i had another one hooked that felt bigger than anyone i landed but he broke my line. it was a great night of fishing, my buddie also caught a blue that went 27-in. i want to go back and check out the other 2 ponds(3 total). the 32 in was my pb of the year. it was great.

2. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

blue cats in a pond? I thought they only lived in river systems. I could be wrong though. I am no biologist.

CG

3. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

Congrats on the nice fish and the new PB.
    What crittergitter is referring to is that a lot of anglers are calling large channels "blue" because of the color they have. I will not say you didn't catch blue cats because I didn't see them. There are subtle but distinct difference between channel and blue cats. I have been told about blues being in some of our lakes like Atwood, but have not yet verified it. Keep in mind that blues are on the Ohio Endangered Speies list and hence should all be released.

Here's a link to basic comparison of channel and blue

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

congrats on the pb.

I was thinking the same thing, a blue in the pond. If they were channels you got your elf allot of fish ohio's lol.

5. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Nearly ever single blue catfish I have ever seen caught via fishin shows out of the missisippi river, the such and such river in TN and the Ohio river had a white color. The name blue catfish has nothing to do with the color of the fish. You might have caught some blue catfish and you might have caught some big ole channel catfish........the male channels in particular often have a blueish hue to them.

CG

6. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

well... they were most likely channel cats, and you referred to them as blues...but who am I to say you didnt catch blue cats, because a local pond up the road from my house is full of blues, but they were put in from paylakes by other fishermen, but the situation which you presented clearly represents that of a small farm pond loaded with hefty channels....get some pics the next time you go out and someone can clearly evaluate whether they are channels or blues

7. You will definately find big cats in ponds. My PB channel went 14# and was caught from a small pond. Also, appearances can be decieving when it comes to ponds, as you found out. Congrats!

8. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

maybe i was wrong? maybe they were channels but from what i have been shown and told i tought they were blues. either way they were still a balst to catch. next time i'll try to get some pics to find out for sure.

9. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I caught my PB channel from Hoover years back and I was told it was a blue cat, THEN I was told by a few reliable sources that it was a channel cat, the big boys get a nice blue tint to them I was told, and like other posters I was told that most blues are found around Miss. river area, but pay lakes do stock them as well but I would hazard a guess it would be a channel, big channels.
    Mike