close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pond carping on saturday (6-11-05)

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by TimJC, Jun 12, 2005.

1. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Went out Saturday morning with HairyBass and his family. We arrived bright and early at 7a. When we got there we were amazed to find that no one was fishing. This trend would pretty much hold the entire day. So, we pulled all our gear and chum to our spot and we were setup by 7:45a.

After tossing my lines out and making sure that HairyBass knew how to tie rigs I commenced the chumming campaign. This consisted of a dozen cans of corn and more than 5 gallons of maize (not all at once). After baiting up our swim I headed over to the smaller pond to chum for a backup spot. While chumming while spidey sense kicked in and I ran back only to help net a fish that HairyBass had on my rod. The fish was landed by both HairyBass and Christopher at 8a. This fish went 18 pounds, 32" long and 19.5" in girth:
    [​IMG]

HairyBass had a run at 8:30a but it ended quickly after the line snapped as the fish headed toward an overhanging bush.

Around 10:30a HairyBass had another run. This time the fish snagged on some tangled fishing line. I immediately saw the need to go swimming, so I hopped in with the net. I took my time getting out so I wouldn't fall in. The thick algae mats made it hard to judge the slope of the bottom. My feet would sink unevenly and make it even more difficult. After about 5 minutes the fish was in the net, but I was unable to get the other line to break. At this point I am in the water And I realize that I need a knife. So in comes HairyBass to hand me the knife. Suddenly he understands why it took me so long to get to the fish. After getting the knife in my hand the line just decides to let go. So now I am heading back to shore out of the 3ft+ deep water. After all that work the fish came to 15.5 pounds, 31.25" long and 19.25" in girth.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I haven't had a fish all day. Then my alarm starts sporadicly making noise. I finally go over to check it out and decide give grab it on a small back drop. I start reeling in thinking that I missed it. Then I start to feel a fish. Then I see my hook out of the water with a line on it forming an upside down V to the water (or maybe it was and A missing the supporting cross member). Anyway, the next thing I know, I am seeing a rod and reel (of the push button variety) hanging from my line completely out of the water. After getting it in I come to find it was a small channel cat that was lucky enough to snag my line so that I could free him of his proverbial ball and chain. So. long story short, a small catfish and wading in the water are the highlights of my day :angry:

Shortly after that mess I manage a run at 11a on the same rod that caught the rod that caught the catfish. This time it was a properly hooked carp. But, I manage to lose this one at the net after an abbreviated battle.

I started frustratedly rebaiting in hopes of catching something. I was doing my best "Tina, you fat lard, come get some dinner" impression from Napoleon Dynamite. Next thing I know, HairyBass has yet another run at noon. This time it is a mirror, which we appropriately named Tina. Tina, as it turned out, was 13 pounds, 26" long and a girthy 22". Shortly after this HairyBass and the gang left me in hopes that I might have better luck.
    [​IMG]

And some identification pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As they were leaving a happy little koi enters the swim. This is the second time this koi has done this. Both times he would come in and swim at the surface right over my chum. It also seems to happen at roughly the same time of day. He comes in around 11a or 12p and will swim around for an hour or two.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 2p rolls around Kelly shows up and starts fishing, but we didn't manage anything. We ended up packing up carpless at 5:15p. I did manage to get a shot of some ducklings eating my chum with momma duck.
    [​IMG]

2. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Sounds like an awesome time (even with out the big bites,lol) Love those mirrors. I went out last night to Alum with AK. Seems like the shoulder is trying to hold up soooo.......whenever ya need some company down there give me a yell. Nice pics!

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I have wednesday off and I know GMR_GUY plans on being there. So, if anyone, who knows the location, wants to stop by feel free. The swim that I fish seems to be most active before noon.

4. That's a great set of photos. That's a good idea to photograph both sides of the fish since it makes them easier to identify. I'll photo both sides of any that I catch there.

I'm looking forward to Wednesday. Who knows, I may now have Tuesday off after failing to prevent a half million dollars in downtime at work tonight.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

What?????? No pic of the Cat? Man this thread sucked! Just kidding.

That is one true fishing friend there, someone that goes into the water like that. I wonder why Flathunter has never went in for me!

TIM, How big do you estimate that Koi to be?

Good luck that looks like a nice little area, whoops I mean SWIM. (see man, I'm trying to say it correctly)

6. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

It's hard to tell how big the koi is, but it is probably under 10 pounds. I've never caught one so I have no way for reference the weight. He looked about 24" long but sometimes the water can be deceiving.

7. catking

catking Banned

Very nice Timmy Boy. Looks like you guys had a really good time... Nice fish ;) Thanks for the nice story to go along with the pics...... CATKING