close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pond bass in Piqua

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jellywormer, Jul 22, 2004.

1. jellywormer

jellywormer Waiting for the tap tap.

[​IMG]

Caught 4 bass between 6 and 9pm today up in piqua. This 2 lbs.'er slammed my worm and ran straight at me making it duece difficult to set the hook. Really nice day to be out. Didn't feel as hot as it was. There was a breeze the whole time.

2. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Nice fish. I wish I could have gone out as well but man been crazy at work and stuff. Did you go alone, was there alot of folks on the water, where the other four of any size?

3. jellywormer

I fished alone. There was one other boat on the water. Had the whole place to myself. Water temp was a balmy 85 degrees. Fished in about 4 foot of water most of the time. All of the bass were in the 1-2 lbs. range. I did have one VERY NICE bass come unbuttoned on a jitterbug that would have gone 5lbs. We all have those now don't we ;)

4. Nope! All my bass that come unbuttoned are in the 7lb range.

I changed the hooks to the Excalibur Rotating Treble Hooks on all of my Jitterbugs last year, and have had a better hook-up % and better luck keeping them hooked.

5. jellywormer

Hey Rooster
    As much as I use the jitterug I think I will try those excalibur hooks. Thanks for the tip.

6. Where do you get your Jelly Worms? Surprisingly, I could not find them the other night at BPS, and I can't remember seeing them anywhere lately. I'm looking for the 9" & 12" in Blackberry and Black Grape. Now, I know that nothing this antiquated could possible still catch fish, I just want them for sentimental value....LOL

7. jellywormer

Here's where I get them. http://www.mannsbait.com/
    I have never seen them in regular stores. They used to be everywhere. Perhaps everyone has figured out that they don't catch fish anymore. ;)

8. I live in Piqua. Were you fishing the city lakes, Swift Run, Echo Lake or Franz Pond? There are some big bass in all three. I haven't been out yet in those lakes. Believe it or not I go out of town most of the time.

9. jellywormer

yes, yes and yes. Nice place to fish.

10. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

Anyone ever try Decker Lake, which is just about a mile or so North of Swift Run outside of Piqua? It's listed as public fishing on ODNR website but public access seems impossible to find. Anyone actually know where the access to the lake is?