close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

poll Where would you go to catch a 40 plus fish

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by neagles, May 31, 2007.

1. Just thought i would let you guys tell me where the best place to catch a 40 pounder plus.

2. rocky fork ohio river

3. the big O, you can catch them over 40 in most bodies of water in ohio. but the ohio has a huge population compared to anywhere else

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Or, anywhere the Katfish & Magis go! :)

5. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

You have that right!

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

For numbers the Ohio River is impressive, but rivers as a whole have never convinced me as far as size go.

Going for a big fish? Try many of Ohio's state lakes. Sure the catch rate is a lot lower, but just seems the fish are a lot larger.

7. If you know where exactly to go, go to the Ohio River, that is prolly the best place for big cats in America besides the Mississippi.

If you aren't a cat expert, go to a paylake, you can learn from others.

Not really a big fan of cats in state lakes, they are super hard to find and not guarantee.

8. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

The Ohio River first off and then most of the MWCD lakes

9. I'm a Die Hard Muskingum River catfisherman.I've caught 40lb plus fish and I've netted 50lb plus fish and I've seen other people catch 60lb plus.I think it is very underfished and holds a big concentration of monster Shovelheads.......

10. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

the Ohio River ............Salt Fork Lake................Seneca Lake..................or the Tuscarawas River

11. lots in the tusc-atwood or tappen...not that i fish for them but they are there!!!

12. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

the fish tank at the Cabellas store :p

13. Your fish tank in a couple months:D

14. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

MCWD lake
    muskingum river
    THE Ohio river :D
    although I havent fished the first two-Heard from tem nothing but good!

15. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

I wish I would have known this sooner. I wouldn't have had to spend so much time finding them:B

Kroger is the only place I know of that would honor a guarantee on fish.

I watched a Bassmaster tournament on the Ohio River at Pittsburg where the winning weight from the Worlds top professional anglers was a little over 3 pounds!

Flathead don't care how rich or good looking you are. They will feed on their own schedule and change feeding habits in a heartbeat. 40 + pound flathead are not common anywhere. Where they are available they are a small total of the whole population and you better wear your big boy pants to catch them and bring a lunch.

Seeing a picture of a big flathead caught in Buckeye lake does not equal the experience of actually catching the flathead. Most flathead caught over 40 pounds are not reported because the catmen catching them do not want to share the spots it took them years to find--even with family or friends.

I saw some boys taking pictures of 2 big flathead one morning. I saw them release the fish. At the dock I asked them how much they weighed. They kinda looked at each other and reported they didn't catch anything. Thats how I knew they worked hard to find those cats.

16. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

I assume you mean large cats are hard to find in state lakes, because a lot of our state lakes have some excellent populations of channel and flatheads both. Channels can be caught almost everywhere.

17. My vote would be the Muskingum River itself; the MCWD lakes certainly have them as well, but for me it is easier to locate fish on the river. I saw some real nice fish from the river last year including the largest channel cat I've ever seen.

If you have the time, camp out in some of the fishy areas in the MCWD lakes with large lively baits and eventually you'll find an active fish. You may have to C&R several large channels before you get lucky though.

18. I would have to agree with the muskingum for Your best odds at a 40# +,plenty of other places offer them but the river gives them up frequently.

19. Garyoutlaw77

Garyoutlaw77 Rough Fish Ambassador

Any of the old Lakes in the Muskingum watershed - I have fished em all & have had catches up to #51 and some mongo Channels who think it's ok to pound my big baits.
    My Dad just bought some land with a camper close to Blue Rock on the Muskingum River so plan to work on those giants

20. uglykat23

uglykat23 duuuuhhhuuuuuhhhhh

tappan or seneca both have been having really good catchs of 35 plus pound flatheads biggest i seen last year was a 56 pounder caught on a minnow by a 13 year old fishing for crappie, i still think it ate the crappie and not the minnow