close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poll: What pound test do you prefer ?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Doc Reel Good, Feb 9, 2005.

1. What pound test do you prefer for spinning ? Casting ?

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Spinning, In general 8lb. Casting, I like 12. Really depends on what I'm fishing for, the time of year, and where and what I'm throwin.

3. I used 12lb Iron Silk on my spinning rods up until this year when I switched to 10lb Fireline and may just never switch again. I used these rods for anything from crappie and bass to walleyes and have yet to have a break off on a fish. On my casting reels I used anywhere between 65 and 80# superline (currently Spiderwire, but considering a switch to Cortland this year). My casting rods are used for Musky fishing and river fishing for larger catfish. Nothing like being able to pull that snag in without breaking your rig off. :D The kids are spooled up with 8# Trilene on their spincast reels.

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

It all depends:

Spinning:
    6lb Pline flouroclear for walleye, panfish and crappies
    10lb Pline flouroclear for bass applications

Casting:
    12lb P-line CXX for cranking, spinnerbaits and tubes
    17lb P-line High-Vis for flippin and pitchin

5. I use 10 lb. test on my spinning gear and 14 or 17 lb. test on my casting gear. 14 for spinnerbaits and plastics and 17 for jigs. I'm going to try some Power Pro this year but will probably stick with these guidelines. Oh, and I use 4 or 6 lb. test on my ultralite rod and reel when I fish streams.

Eric

6. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

8lb all around........that is spinning/spincast...

7. I use 10# Fireline and 6# Power Pro on my spinning reels. 20# Fireline and 30# Power Pro on my trolling linecounter reels. 10 to 15 pound mono on my baitcaster's as well as 10 pound Fireline. I'm not a big fan of mono but use it for very specific situations.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I certainly would'nt think that someone uses only ONE lb. test line for all thier reels, unless they fish for ONE specie of fish??

Me personally:
    Light tackle spinning: 6lb. test, Panfish, Whitebass, Smallmouth, ect. Gamakatsu G-power(smoke color).
    Med. spinning: 12lb. test , Carp, Channel cats, Drum, ect, Gamakatsu G-power.
    Heavy Spinning: anywhere from 17-25 lb test , Big Carp, Big channel cats, ect., G-power.

Med. casting: 10-12 lb. channel cats, G-power.
    Heavy casting: 17-25 lb. daytime flatheads or open water cattin, G-power.
    Xheavy casting(flathead catfish): 50-80 lb test braided dacron, mostly Mason brand.

Scott

9. spining 4 to 8 casting 12 to 15

10. I use 10# McCoys Mean green for all my baitcasters except my pitching/flipping rods I use 30# baided line.

11. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Spinning- 8-10lb P-line floroclear for most finesse fishing (tubes on erie, drop-shot rig, etc)
    Casting- Cranks/Jerkbaits 10lb P-line CX
    Spinnerbaits 12lb P-line CXX
    Tubes/Jigs 12-15lb P-line CXX (Flipping: 20lb Trilene Big Game)

12. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

It depends on the application spinning never more than 12 lb. casting 10-12 for cranking and most plastics then 14 - 20 for flippin/pitchin in the junk I use
    silver thread AN40 for most will spool P Line flourclear for lake erie smallies and I use 14lb. fireline for spinnerbaits & buzzbaits

13. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Procraft, we may not agree on outboards, but we definitely agree on the P-line. Good stuff, that is - now if I can only get you to turn Yamaha.....

Justi kidding..

14. spinning:
    2-8lb Yozuri Hybrid Florocarbon
    8lb-12lb Iron Silk

casting:
    8lb-30lb Iron Silk

15. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I use anything from 8# to 20# depending on the situation.

16. Unless I am flipping I am usually a light line type of guy. 8lb on spinning 10-12on casting

17. For panfish, and bass on small ponds, spinning outfits carry 4 to 8#. SMB, generally use 6# on a spinning rod. General spinning, for Walleyes and LMB 8#. Catting, or heavy applications 17#
    For casting, LMB, carp, general catting, 10-17#, and up to 20#, with the lighter lines for spinnerbaits and crankbaits and the heavier lines, typically, for jig & pig and plastics.
    Live bait might be any of the afore-mentioned # tests.

18. dave hiwatt

dave hiwatt Fish fear me..... RIGHT

For the ultra lights I use4# stren but I am trying Cabela’s pro line this year. For the medium spinning (lake Erie) I use 8# and 10# on my bait casters the heavy duty rigs for cat fishing get 17#. I have used stren for as long as I can remember, but I have not been happy with the last two spools I got. I’m trying Cajun red lightnin’ 8# for my spinning rigs.