Ohio Game Fishing banner

will you take the vaccine?

• yes

• no

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
16,656 Posts
Even if I believed that 13 people died exclusively from the vaccine (and I don't), the rate is barely measurable. Listening to this group would bring back polio, whooping cough, and a whole host of other illnesses that killed and maimed millions of people over the years. While there is no doubt that some people should not take a vaccine given their current health, the vast majority of us should. However, I respect anyone's decision to abstain from a vaccine or any other medical treatment. In this case, it just clears the way for those who DO want it, so feel free to step aside. Over time, Darwin's theories have a way of sorting this type of thing out.

The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC), founded under the name Dissatisifed Parents Together (DPT) in 1982, is an American 501(c)(3)[1] organization that has been widely criticized as a leading source of fearmongering and misinformation about vaccines.[2][3][4] While NVIC describes itself as the "oldest and largest consumer led organization advocating for the institution of vaccine safety and informed consent protections",[5] it promotes false and misleading information including the discredited claim that vaccines cause autism,[6][7][8] and its campaigns portray vaccination as risky, encouraging people to consider "alternatives."[9]
Like other anti-vaccination groups, NVIC has been investing heavily into its social media presence in the 2010s. In addition to developing their own social media channels, the organization pushes anti-vaccination messages to online gatherings of young parents, anti-GMO activists and wellness enthusiasts.[10] However, due the group's decision to stick to Facebook as their main social media channel, they experienced only a small growth of their social media base, while other anti-vaccination groups such as Children's Health Defense saw their impact increase considerably on systems such as Instagram during the COVID-19 pandemic.[11]

Background
The organization was co-founded in 1982 by Jeff Schwartz, Barbara Loe Fisher, and Kathi Williams under the name Dissatisfied Parents Together (DPT).[12]:8 Each of them had observed the health of one of their children deteriorate at some point after receiving a dose of the DPT vaccine and had watched a television broadcast of the film DPT: Vaccine Roulette, which drew an erroneous causal link between DPT vaccines and illnesses of some children who received them.[12]:1–6 In 1985, Fisher and Harris Coulter co-authored a book, DPT: A Shot in the Dark, which asserted an association between the whole cell pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine in the DPT shot and autism.[13] The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommend the newer acellular pertussis vaccines (DTaP and Tdap), and whole cell pertussis vaccines are no longer used in the US.[14][15] because of adverse effects unrelated to autism.[16][17]
In the early 1980s, the organization joined with the American Academy of Pediatrics to draft the original legislation for the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986,[18][19] which created a federal vaccine injury compensation program, mandated doctors to give parents vaccine benefit and risk information, and required the recording and reporting of vaccine injuries and deaths (see Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System). The organization changed its name to the National Vaccine Information Center in the early 1990s.[12]:8
Thanks for the info. WOW.

Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
well on yesterdays news dr. fauci gave warnings of allergic reactions and some could be severe, saw it on channel 19 cleveland ....so who do you believe?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Totally understand for those not wanting to get or wait and see. It's your body, we should all be equally concerned about what is injected into our bodies, same as the air we breath, water we drink, and all the other chemicals and drugs we put into it.
For those interested I've been talking to lots of my coworkers and individuals I work with that received the vaccine and the same side effects seem to come up: Pain at the injection site, generally lasting up to 3 days, a few to the point it almost limits upper range of motion for effected arm, one person had increased sensitivity at site; headache day of injection, none I've heard lasting longer than 24 hours; rash or redness at injection site but only presenting 7-9 days after injection then resolving within a few days; swelling at injection site without pain but again same as rash, didn't present until day 7-9.
This is by no means a scientific way of gathering information, I just had the opportunity to ask a larger group of people, and out of my own personal interest was curious. I've spoken to approximately 30-40 individuals and majority had some of the listed above side effects. I don't know of anyone with serious side effects that kept them from coming into work, age range was 28-60 and generally healthy folks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
well on yesterdays news dr. fauci gave warnings of allergic reactions and some could be severe, saw it on channel 19 cleveland ....so who do you believe?
All vaccines and all medications have potential for side effects as well as severe allergic reactions. If people read the data sheets for their routine vaccinations and daily medication regimen I think they would be unpleasantly surprised.
Individuals should weigh the pros and cons for all of these things.

·
Registered
726 Posts
burnsj5 makes good points across the board. I've put what the CDC says based on the latest data they've analyzed down below, but my interpretation is that life threatening allergic reactions are rare and primarily involve folks who already have severe allergies (essentially, they carry an epipen). If you fall in that group, you can still get the vaccine, but you need to bring your epipen and inform the caregiver ahead of time. Under the vaccine protocols, any one who gets the shot should plan to stick around for at least 15-20 minutes so they can observe you and make sure you don't have an immediate reaction. One of my daughters is in her 40's and carries an epipen; she still plans to get the vaccine, but will be prudent in how and when she gets it.

"As of December 23, 2020, a reported 1,893,360 first doses of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine had been administered in the United States, and reports of 4,393 (0.2%) adverse events after receipt of Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine had been submitted to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). Among these, 175 case reports were identified for further review as possible cases of severe allergic reaction, including anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening allergic reaction that does occur rarely after vaccination, with onset typically within minutes to hours (3). Twenty-one cases were determined to be anaphylaxis (a rate of 11.1 per million doses administered), including 17 in persons with a documented history of allergies or allergic reactions, seven of whom had a history of anaphylaxis. The median interval from vaccine receipt to symptom onset was 13 minutes (range = 2–150 minutes). Among 20 persons with follow-up information available, all had recovered or been discharged home. Of the remaining case reports that were determined not to be anaphylaxis, 86 were judged to be nonanaphylaxis allergic reactions, and 61 were considered nonallergic adverse events. Seven case reports were still under investigation. This report summarizes the clinical and epidemiologic characteristics of case reports of allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis and nonanaphylaxis allergic reactions, after receipt of the first dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine during December 14–23, 2020, in the United States. CDC has issued updated interim clinical considerations for use of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized in the United States (4) and interim considerations for preparing for the potential management of anaphylaxis (5). In addition to screening for contraindications and precautions before administering COVID-19 vaccines, vaccine locations should have the necessary supplies available to manage anaphylaxis, should implement postvaccination observation periods, and should immediately treat persons experiencing anaphylaxis signs and symptoms with intramuscular injection of epinephrine (4,5)."

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
All vaccines and all medications have potential for side effects as well as severe allergic reactions. If people read the data sheets for their routine vaccinations and daily medication regimen I think they would be unpleasantly surprised.
Individuals should weigh the pros and cons for all of these things.
The thing that gets me with all new drugs is the disclaimer "don't take XXX if you're allergic to it or it's components". How do you know if your allergic until you take it? I understand those with egg allergies, or similar, but these new medicines are just that...NEW. And some of the side affects (not the covid vaccines) boggle the mind. They are scarier than the illness the drug is meant to protect you from. I guess if you're at the end off the rope, you'll take anything to keep from the rope stretching your neck.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
The thing that gets me with all new drugs is the disclaimer "don't take XXX if you're allergic to it or it's components". How do you know if your allergic until you take it? I understand those with egg allergies, or similar, but these new medicines are just that...NEW. And some of the side affects (not the covid vaccines) boggle the mind. They are scarier than the illness the drug is meant to protect you from. I guess if you're at the end off the rope, you'll take anything to keep from the rope stretching your neck.
allergic to vaccines in the past. Flue, you know a vaccine

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think this is all a good discussion and is a lot of information to digest. There is a lot of hyperbole in the news and social media discussion. I think it all boils down to one thing, do you trust those in charge? Do you trust the drug companies to have used good practices in both development and testing? Do you trust the authorities in both the medical and government?

I still contend it's a gamble either way. Most of us will make our bets on what we best decide is the winner. I do not have any issues personally with anyone however they decide. I do believe the science was good and I will make the case to get it, as I have determined my best bet is with the vaccine, and thus so is most people's. I genuinely have a desire to see us all win. Using the gambling analogy; the ante is your health and the "all in" bet is your life. I think the safe bet is on the vaccine, I see it as an ace some read it as a joker. Sometimes Jokers are wild and sometimes they are worthless.

Here are some thoughts that I don't necessarily subscribe to but are out there:

All animals suffer disease, in the wild the healthy survive and the disease weeds out the weak

The world can spare a few people

Do we have a higher moral ground than wild animals?

Just let it run it's course and manage the out come.

Unchecked disease in the wild has devastated wild animal populations to the point of collapse, is this what we want for humanity?

If mostly old and sick die, should the healthy and young not care?

People are in general good and those in charge are doing their best to protect us, aside from any agendas.

Is either taking or refusing a vaccine actually something we should be making into "a statement" or should it simply be a decision made from a fair evaluation of benefit and risk?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
A lot of good and bad info out there on both Covid and the vaccines. Nothing has come up to sway my decision to hold up on it at this time. I did have a bad reaction to a bee sting years ago but haven’t been stung in over 20 years. Will I react to the vaccine? IDK. To me, the uncertainty of the vaccine’s effectiveness outweighs any unsubstantiated benefits it may provide. Time will tell and I may eventually change my mind. Everyone has this decision to make on their own. No one can tell them they are right or wrong.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i seen on the news a few weeks ago that the company that is dispensing the vaccine is an L.L.C. company, there for they are protected from any legal actions....no lawsuits
For sure we live in a lawsuit-happy society. The great thing about this? You aren't being forced to vaccinate. You have been told the risks of vaccination. You have been told what could potentially happen to you. Employers should not mandate the vaccine. If it's mandatory, then they are on the hook for all issues. If it is voluntary, no issue. Let the people decide. It's that simple.

6+ million Americans have this stuff in them and less than 5,000 have reported issues. One doctor passed away in Florida and yet we still don't know "why" he died, but yet so many are jumping to conclusions that "a healthy doctor died from the vaccine!" We don't know if the vaccine caused his issue. Even if it did, one case is not going to stop the distribution of the vaccine across the world. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are several hundred million folks on the continent of Africa who would GLADLY take the doses that are set aside for the USA.

I get my second dose next week. My sister got hers last week. She's fine, as are her co-workers.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There’s over 200,000 people who died not from covid but the underlying health conditions they had prior to covid. This vaccine is not going to fix those underlying conditions. This is not a miracle drug and not 100% effective and does not provide lifetime immunity.

But you are correct, it is a personal choice that each person needs to make based on THEIR situation, not someone else’s. The fact that someone’s brother’s mother’s pool guy had a medical condition is not a reason to say any of the rest of us need to get the vaccine. I wear a mask and stay 6’ away (even if they don’t - had the discussion a couple times already) which, according to the experts, is enough to control the virus.

Now, if you’re going to DC next week, get the shot.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts