close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

polarized sunglasses

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by pacosraiders, Apr 16, 2004.

1. What's everyone's opinions on them? Saw an article in BM, but they only talked about Costa Del Mars. Looking for a new pair, and don't want to spend a bundle of money.

Also, the ones found on ebay are they legit or cheap fakes?

TIA
    Don

2. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

I have a pair of Solar Bats and I love them.

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I have heard many different opinions on different glasses- from the cheapies to the high dollar models.

I have a pair of Ocean Waves in the backwater green lens. Very good for clear water on bright days- they were originally designed for flats fisherman down in Florida where they have bright sun, crystal clear water and light bottoms. They cut the glare and the visibility is awesome. I bought them for bass fishing in Michigan where the conditions are close. I have used the cheaper glasses out there like the Rapalas, the Strike Kings and the like, but they aren't built like the more expensive brands.

My lenses are glass- 99.9% polarization. Also, the front of the lens is mirrored with the color to block glare- thus the "backwater green". I have found that visibility IS better with these glasses than the cheapies just because of distortion and clarity. I can see fish better with the Ocean Waves than with the Strike Kings under most, but not all, circumctances. The only time I like the cheaper glasses is when the light isn't all that bright, like just before dusk. Then I get out the cheaper non-tinted polarized shades and they work better.

I also like the feel of the Ocean Waves over the cheaper models and if they ever break, I an just send them back for a replacement. Great service from them.

It never fails- I'll buy a cheap pair of glasses and carry them in my shirt pocket when I don't need them and the temples rub the inside of the lens and scratch it. That doesn't happen with the glass lenses.

Mine were $125 from peepers.com. I would buy another pair if I lost these.

Cabelas has a new line of shades right now that run in the $40-$50 range and are nice for the money.

UFM82

4. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Quite honestly, I have a pair of the $25 Cabelas wraparounds and they work better than anything else I've tried. I have contacts so eye protection from wind is important to me.

If you wear glasses, I recommend Fit-Overs. They work great for me when I don't have my contacts in.

5. I have Solar Bat Cool Eyes. You can pick which lense you get with them. I really like them alot! I have the grey lense and its not quite dark enough would be my only complaint. They also sell kits for the glasses that include either 2 or 3 different lense colors. I payed 99.00 for my Cool eyes at Kames in Canton.

I've also bought the cheapo 14.95 Solar Bat glasses from Walmart and they also are polarized and look every bit as good as the 100.00 pair I own. The difference is that the frames and changeable lenses are in my 100.00 pair and not in the 14.95 pair at Walmart.

6. Sunglasses are a very important part of my fishing arsenal. For me, the are indispensable for being able to locate underwater cover. Now, for years I used the cheap ones from Wal-Mart (I think that they are made by Strike King). They worked fine, but were not very comfortable or stylish (but I always look good while fishing irregardless of attire). I purchased a pair of Costa Del Mar Fathom's in amber a few year ago and have been very please with them. There is some increase in my ability to see underwater cover, but not enough to justify the increase in price. However, the comfort of the glasses more than justify the price for me. Now, we all have different priorities when it comes to spending money, so only you can determine if they are “worth” the price for you.

7. I have very light sensitive eyes and wear sunglass even in a rainstorm while driving. Due to the fact that I wear them all the time, I need a good lens...ones that don't distort my veiw because cheap lens will give me a headache from eye-strain. The glass I wear are double polarized, meaning they are polarized on the inside as well as the outside and they are almost clear on the bottom of the lens and deeply tinted on the top. With these glasses I can see 20'-30' under the water and if I take then off I only see the surface of the water. This might be in part due to the fact that my eyes are messed up or that I just took off my glasses....none the less, I couldn't fish (or drive) without them.

8. Couple years ago, an optometrist suggested I use a brown polorized lens for fishing.

I have had all colors over the years, but brown works great for me.

Oldfox1939
    (Formerly Larry)

9. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Well I'm a "four eyes" by nature. The last two pair of presciption sunglasses I have got, I've paid the extra money (like 40 bucks or something) and got this film put on them thats called Transition lenses. They polarize them selves when UV light hights them, making them great for fishing. Not only that, but anytime your outside doing lawnwork, shovelings snow... anything.. they polarize themselves. It only takes a few minutes for them to darken up and they turn clear almost instantly after going inside. If you wear persciption glasses check out Transition Lenses at your doctors office.

10. JakeFr5150

JakeFr5150 Mr. Bug Rod

Personally, I wouldn't go without Polarized lenses. I used to fish for years without them and sometimes would come home with bad headaches from looking at the water and the constant glare. Not anymore. Been using them for a few years now, and don't know how I lived without them. They do help somewhat in my ability to see underwater structure, but not tremendously. I mean, stained water is stained water. They help most when stream fishing when the water is maybe 6 feet deep at most. I my favorite streams I can see to the bottom with no problems. I only use cheapies from Wal-Mart - either their Renegade or Strike King brands. Not a lot of difference between the two. I prefer the blue lenses most - they seem to work the best for me. I had the smoke colored lenses before, and they didn't work so good. Highly recommended.

Jake

11. There is a guy selling sunglasses on Ebay for 20.00 a dozen. They are polarized and have the polarized side shields. I think his name is sunglassland. I bought a dozen just to keep in my truck and boat in case I forget my good ones.....JIM

12. I have both the cheap ones (strike kings) & some nice ones - the nice ones are much more comfortable & don't scratch as easy; however I become rather flustered when I do scrath them or loss a set - on the other hand the cheapies are nice because you don't have to pay attention to them - scratch em, lose em, loan em out, no problem.

**after using polarized for awhile, I now feel handicapped if I don't have a set with me.

13. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I am hard on glasses of any kind.If I can get 6 months use from a pair without getting broken,lost,or hopelesssly scratcked,I'm doing good.My last pair was clearance priced FLW (store brand) for 5 bucks at Wally World.:)