close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poisons in our foods

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrfishohio, Apr 24, 2005.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

CANCER NEWS FROM JOHN HOPKINS HOSPITAL. JUST A REMINDER.......
    No plastics in the microwave oven.
    No water bottles in the freezer.
    No plastic wrap in microwave oven.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in their newsletters worth noting.
    This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Dioxin Carcinogens cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Don't freeze your plastic water bottles with water as this also releases dioxins in the plastic.

Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle hospital was on a TV program explaining this health hazard. (He is the manager of the Wellness Program at the hospital.)He was talking about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers.

This applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastics releases dioxins into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Dioxins are carcinogens and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies. Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning Ware, or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, without the dioxins.

So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He said we might remember when some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem was one of the reasons.

To add to this problem, Saran wrap placed over foods as they are nuked with the high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food. Use paper towels.

Pass this on to your family & friends & those who are important in you life.

2. According To That,i Should Of Had Cancer A Long Time Ago..i Have Been Doing All Of The Above For Yrs An Yrs.///////

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I always freeze have a bottle of water at night, then fill the rest up with water in the morning so I have cold water to drink all day. Definitally something to think about.

I spoke with a doctor a few weeks ago, just talking not actually a doctor visit, but he told me he eats fish 365 days a year, and only ones that are farm raised. He thinks a lot of these diseases were seeing now-a-days are being caused by all the "fast" food we eat, on top of the means in which a lot of live stock are produced, hormones, ect. Then when it comes to preserved foods (which just about everything is preserved in one for or another)

It made sense, I didn't ask him how old he was, but I could tell he was up there, but he didn't really look it if you know what I'm saying.

4. - SNopes it.

Just another frickin' urban legend like the 100 or so tha cross myibox every week.

If it sounds to wierd to be true it probably is - take the few minutes to reserch it before you pass it on or post it in a public forum.

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

like argee said....TOO LATE NOW.

6. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Yea and if you eat a dump truck full of sacrin you MIGHT get cancer.....but only in the state of Caifornia....LOL :D :) :rolleyes:

7. You beat me to it. I was just starting to head to the Snopes website but saw your post first. I was hoping that I would find it there because as others have said here, if it were true I would be headed to the grave right away.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  8. snopes it and read the entire article, not just the opening line.

being in the realm of possibility means to me that its worth mentioning. Don't go willy nilly microwaving in all plastic containers................only use what has been aproved for microwave usage.

Take a look at the the production of plastics and cancer rates in the US, I guarantee that they rise in a similar fashion.

J

9. I am sure we could find many other more well known risk factors that have become more prominent over that same time. I believe there are countless risks which we are exposed to each day. I try to heed the warnings on as many as I can but I don't know how I could function if I jumped at every one of them. If there is any substance to this or any other risks I imagine I will be hearing more about it in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Didn't make sense to me they would sell you frozen dinners in an unsafe container either, but I knew there was a risk w/styrofoam. They started putting labels on styrofoam saying not to re-heat in this container, etc.
    I eat frozen dinners pretty often........

11. I am safe on that one. I am not sure if I have ever eaten one myself.:) However, we do plenty of warming leftovers in containers.:rolleyes:

12. unknown risks of today can possibly be the risks our children face in their lifetime. Only time will tell if plastics are to blame for an increase in cancer, more likely its a cumulative affect of all that we have done in our lifetime.

I'll be the first to say that everything eventually causes cancer, i can admit that.

Anybody here old enough :) that they played with liquid mercury when they were young?

Didn't know then, but now know its a tad bit dangerous. Would you play with it now?

I think a little prevention is in order, just minimize your exposure to cancer causing or supposed cancer casuing things and you'll reduce your chances of getting cancer rather than someone who doesn't.

13. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thanks Jim for this thread. It prompted me to do some searches on other foods/ additives. I'll make a separate thread for them. I didn't like what I found, we'll see what the rest of you think. ;)