close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishingful, Apr 15, 2005.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

poison ivy ..................well their is a first for everything i got it and gave it to my wife :rolleyes: now how do you get rid of it????...........thanks Jim

2. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Look for stuff either called Calagel(Clear) or Calamine lotion...they will help to dry it up and relieve the itch!

3. nothing will get rid of it but those products mentioned will help allot...
    My cuz'n gets it so bad he has to get shots...
    If it gets real bad you may want to see a Dr. like he does...

4. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

unfortunatly not much over-the-counter gets "rid of" PI........ go get some Benedryl or other antihistimine(sp), anti-itch lotions, and if your lucky to find them, ask the pharmasist(sp) if they carry any homeopathic (home remedy recipe) poison ivy pills.... tiny, little and white in color, round ball pills..... these are the only thing ive ever found that work in getting "rid of" it quicker. good luck finding them though.... Davies Drug on Tusc. St. is the only place ive ever found them..... and if i recall, a bit $$$$$$ but try them if you find them.
    if it gets real bad..... go get a steroid shot from the Dr.
    good luck man....pi sux :( and dont scratch....Lol

5. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

mine dosent itch or anything just a few small spots i have never had it before and i know i have had contact with it while hunting the wife gets it bad so i may send hre to the dr. but i will hit the drug store first thanks

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

there is no plant that screams "stay away" to me more than poison ivy.... had it BAD a lot when i was a kid...i never really found much that would do much good once the oils got to you...but that was years ago....

they say that urishiol (?), the oil in poison ivy that irritates the skin, is so highly irritating to human skin that if you had a glass of it you could give everyone on the planet a rash.

if you contact it, make sure you wash up real good, ive found that to be effective. get the oils off of you before it can penetrate, and watch your boot laces. (if it gets in between your fingers.....yikes!) the oils can last up to a year on shoes, clothing, etc. from what ive read.

7. Dang,quit talking about it I am starting to itch :(

8. I can't get poison ivy or poison oak...
    I am very lucky and one of only a handful that I know who does not...
    My cuz'n gets both from rabbits so I have to pick them all up and do all the cleaning when we go hunting ... He hands swell up and crack something awefull... :eek:

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

wow youre lucky man. i used to get it so bad my hands would be nothing but white blisters...especially in between my fingers...it used to itch SO BAD it was unreal....i used to turn the HOT water faucet on full blast...and stick my hands into it, it was the only way to releive the pain..... i learned real quick what poison ivy looked like. :eek:

10. My boss got it pretty bad last year, and his hands did the same thing. He went and bought some of this stuff from CVS, zanfel and he claimed it worked good. Keep in mind that this stuff is pretty stinking expensive, but he said it actually did clear it up. I haven't had it bad since, or I would try it. I know he was itching really bad before he bought this stuff, and afterwards he wasn't. Besides, Paul Harvey endorced it...lol

Kevin

11. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I get it really bad every year. You can get it from someone burning the vines upto 3 miles away if you're downwind. You can't give it to someone, but they can touch your clothes that have the oils on them and get it that way.

When I get it I have to get a shot and it still cause what the Dr. calls 2nd and 3rd degree burns. It gets under my skin and my skin comes off in patches and I am scared for life. The itching drives me crazy and keeps me from sleeping. In my earlier years the only thing that would get rid of it was a brillo pad and clorox bleach...the pain was prefered to the itch and the pain went away unlike the itch.

As mentioned before, if you know you've contacted it, use a degreaser or good dish soap and wash real good as soon as you can and put your clothes right into the washing machine and wash them.

12. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i think that zanfel stuff is what a guy told ma about at work it is like 50 bucks a bottle but it might be worth it .............i had a friends mom that could catch from the air at certin times of year now thats bad............thanks for all the help guys

13. I just had to go to the doctor yesterday for poison ivy. Unlike years past when I got it, this time I immediately went in. Typically, if you have it bad, the dr. will give a shot and a prescription. Those products found in on the shelf at CVS, Walgreens, etc are merely a topical solution of some sort, generally contain calamine, and are intended for relief of the itching and / or the drying of the sores that usually develop. There really isn't anything that can prevent it, a person just must be aware that they are around it. Otherwise, if you come in contact with the plant and don't know it, you can easily spread the oil to other people, other clothes, your pets, your bedding, your car seats, etc. Then it really becomes a pain, because you'll keep getting it, and won't have even been near the plant. My one dog got it last year in his ear and it was three/four weeks of scratching, to the point he was bleeding. In addition, you can pick up the oil from DEAD poison ivy. I have poison ivy veins in the wooded section behind my house, some of the vines being 1.5 inches in diameter. I have read that the oil can remain present in the plant / vine for up to two years after the plant dies. And DO NOT try burning this stuff. The oil will actually become airborne and if you inhale the smoke...well...you're screwed.

14. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

Elamenohpee

my wife did not have contact with it.............the only way i can figure she got it was sleeping with me after i showered and hers showed up 2 days after mine so i may have had some GOOOOOOOOO leak on her when we were sleeping does that sound right????? i will try some of the things you guys sugusted....................jim

15. I meant to say that the product Zanfel does work great as a cleanser, and for itch relief, but again it is meant for treatment after contact with poison ivy. I saw it yesterday at Walgreens for $37 for the bottle. I believe that this is the stuff you apply while taking a shower. I used it last year and got a few days worth of showers.

If you know you come in contact with it, wash everything multiple times and then run just water through the washing machine with a lot of detergent. Also, wash down rakes, shovels, or anything else that could have touched it or you touched...the handle of a garbage can, wheelbarrow handles, etc.

16. fishingful...your wife probably got the rash from touching your clothing either while you still had it on or after you threw it in a laundry pile. Usually if a person showers well after touching poison ivy, the oils should be off the body and you should pose no threat of passing it to someone else.

17. I found these pills at a drugstore that help prevent poison ivy. You take them twice a day for a week every month to prevent it. They dissolve is your mouth. You can also take them to help if you already have it. I think they really work , i haven't got it bad since i started using them and i'm usually in poison ivy at least once a week during summer.

18. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Call your Dr. and have him phone in a steroid pack for PI. He will know what you are talking about and it WILL clear it up fast.

Gene

19. At least to get rid of the itching i heard and tried soaking your skin in bleach water. Keep it in there till it burns like hell, which actually is pretty soothing. It helped dry up the blisters real well too. I've grabbed vines of the stuff on accident and walk through it all the time without ever getting it. We had a big get together last summer up at my buddys cottage and everyone there, including me for the first time, got it. I looked all over and never saw any and we never left their lawn. Lots of people there said they were pretty immune to it but almost all 20 or so people there got it.

One horror story, another student in my lab worked on an old lanfill covered in the stuff. he really gets it bad too. anyways, he need to relieve himself out there and woke up the next morning not able to recognize a certain male portion of his body it was so swollen and disfigured. He needed lots of shots for that one.

20. Fishing_Marshall...I specifically asked the doctor I saw yesterday about preventative medicines and he told me there hasn't been anything on the market in years. Can you please tell me (us) the name of the product you are talking about and where it can be purchased?

The steroid pack I got yesterday was for methylpredisolone 4mg...take 6 pills the first day, five the next, then four, etc.