close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poisen Ivy relief

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LakeRaider, Jun 14, 2005.

1. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

:( Well, Red got poison ivy on her arms. Only had it once before. Real bad case this time! Anybody got any home remedies for the itching relief? Poor girl has been using Calamine(spelling) lotion but its not helping. :( 3 days so far and its still spreading. Any help appreciated. LakeRaider and -itchy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I had it one time over 90 percent of my body..My grandmother made me eat a bunch of it, said it would make it go away..I was only 10, so I dont remember if it helped or not.

3. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

Get it every year! Have tried everything but the only thing that works is going to the doctor and getting a steroid dose pack.

4. I WILL tell you not to eat it. Your immunuity decreases with increased exposure and all that will do it make it worse and hurt you more on your next exposure. There was a rather lengthy thread on this last summer that had some good suggestions if you want to do a search. The only time i've had it was on my feet and i popped the blisters and soaked my feet in bleach solution. I know this isn't a good method and it might spread the rash but the burning felt way too good over the itching, almost like revenge. Still have no idea how i got it, i've grabbed vines of the stuff without a problem and the landfills i do my research on are covered in it so i'm exposed all the time. I think it was in the my buddy's lawn and mowed up to make it more potent.

5. Tried all kinds of stuff and finally went to the doctor-got the steriod pack and had relief within hours and completely cleared up with days-PLEASE JUST GO TO THE DOC! ESPECIALLY IF IT IS BAD.

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Raider I agree, get her to the doctor and on the dose pack. That's what I had to do the last time I had it. If it's spreading she's only going to get worse. And then mean! :D So get to the doctors!!! :rolleyes:

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

If you have it bad go to the doctor but don't get an over-priced steriod pack. That methylpredinisolone pack is $50-$60 or more.
    Tell the doctor (who gets all kinds of freebies from pharmaceutical companies if he prescribes enough of their overpriced products) you want plain old prednisone.
    $2-$3 for your script and it works just as well. It just isn't under patent protection anymore.

Betamethasone dipropionate is another corticosteroid that works well in a topical ointment. This is a pretty strong one and they don't like to prescribe it too much for something simple as poison ivy.

Ivy Dry sucks. The only thing it accomplishes is it stains your cloths and skin and makes you all sticky.
    Calamine- a little better just meant to dry you out.

Get a tube of generic Benedryl cream (diphenhydramine HCl). This will help stop the allergic reaction and itching.

8. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

gasoline or bleach use to dry it up pretty fast. i woulda imagined that this is frowned at by medical professionals these days. i would scratch it til i had it bleeding and then rub gas or clorox on it. im sure there is something out there these days thats a better solution. just remember to wash your hands after scratching and applying what ever solvent used.

sowbelly

9. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Not the best advice I'm sure but works everytime for me. I get it so easy that i was afraid to open this thread and get it on my fingers. I always just take cheap ole paper nail file board, open up all the sores and dump bleach on it. Yes it burns but also drys it right up. Fair trade off-little burn or keep itching. lol

10. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

Nail polish remover works best for me dries it right out

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have tried just about every trick listed below (except gasoline...wow) and they all work some, it's just that most don't work good enough when all you can think about is the itch. The best one for me was what Lewzer said Betamethasone dipropionate in a tube. That stuff will turn that rash into Alligator skin a about a day or two. Use it sparingly and it's great. The first time i used it I did not read the instructions and I applied too much too many times. I think the dry skin it gave me itched as much as the poison ivy, so be careful. Our Local Medicine Shop store mixes up some secret homemade stuff that works better than any store bought stuff. So you might give that a try. they also make a product called Ivy Block(i think) that is supposed to block your pores from getting the poison in them. I tried it and did not get and ivy. Anything is worth a try.

12. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

Lewzer is on target: "Get a tube of generic Benedryl cream (diphenhydramine HCl). This will help stop the allergic reaction and itching."
    Some good calemime type lotions contain Benedryl, if they don't, they aren't any any good. Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine and it will dry up and cure the poison ivy as well as relieve the itching. Any of the other bleach or gas remedies create a risk of greatly inflaming the skin irritation you already have. I always keep Benedryl in both cream and pill form in the 1st aid kit. It's good to have the pills around as well for allergic reactions to spider bites, stings etc. and taking a couple of pills also relieves the itchy all over feelings of an allergic reaction. It makes most folks a little sleepy though and is even an ingredient in some over the counter sleep aids.

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

In the past I've got it real bad at times and still will. I came across this by accident last year. Get some "Huggies" wipes for babies butts and keep wiping the affected area(s). Other then the steriods this works best for me to dry it up.

<><Baitkiller><>

14. I got into an argument with my wife few years ago about poison ivy, oak ect. I did not want to lose the argument so I did research on the itchy stuff. I did find one thing very interesting. If poison ivy could be turned into an aerosol it would be more lethal than anthrax. The thing about poison ivy is that you can not spread it by scratching the itch. What happens is that where your skin came into contact the hardest with either the plant or it's pollen in the air will be the worst and come out first. The less infected area comes out slower. You can scar yourself by scratching though. The diphenhydramine HCI seems to be the most popular method of taking care of the itch. Another method that seems to be growing among "wife’s tail popular" is rubbing preparation H on the area. The best way not to get it is to shower as soon as possible after coming into contact with it.

15. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

The new Aveno cream out definitely stops the itching.

16. I used to get that stuff by just walking outside in the summer took the pills and the shots I dont get it now but my son gets it the same way that I did
    the best thing I found was Hairspray and bleach ( like mentioned by bigchessie )
    get it scratched up put the stuff on burns like heck but it works
    The hairspray puts a coat on it helps to dry it up and keeps it from spreading
    Good luck I really feel sorry for anyone that gets that stuff
    good luck
    geowol

17. Try calamine lotion and cold showers. A medic recommended this to me when I was in the army, and it always helped to clear it up. For whatever reason, hot water aggravates the problem.

JM

18. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

OK,heres where're we,re at. Sowbelly, good call on the gasoline ( she wants to talk to you!) lol I thought a nice 2 stroke mix might work! :p The doc gave her the steroid (prednosone-spelling?) and its helping. OF course guys-ITS ALL MY FAULT! :rolleyes: Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  19. at work we allways get into poison ivy. so every day i make sure i wash with technu. it washes the poison oil away before you break out. then if you are already broke out it stops the ich for a wile. that ivy dry works to dry it up. same thing as bleach or gas or alchahol.

james