close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pointers???

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Slabs!, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Slabs!

Slabs! Multispecies Journeyman

Although I have had my fly rod for 2 years now, learned how to tie, had minimal success in a few ponds..................I'm not very good at casting or learned on technique and actually working the fly. I would greatly appreciate anyone that would welcome/take me along for a lesson. I don't care if it's catching bluegill, or even just to watch and learn. I'm C&R 99.9% of the time. Thanks!!!

2. BlueDun

BlueDun Member

The best method for learning proper casting technique is to work with someone who has experience teaching people how to cast. I can't tell for certain, but assume you are in the Columbus area based on your profile location? Mad River Outfitters has been offering casting classes this summer. The beginning classes are free and the int/adv classes are offered at a small fee. That is how I started. Then, practice, practice, practice in your yard, the local park, or where ever there is room.

3. Look on Youtube or google video. There is usually a variety of videos of people casting. Some people have posted vids of themselves casting and are asking viewers to critique. There is also some real advanced stuff on there. I suggest learning to backcast and rollcast on a lake or pond. This way you can contend with casting and not have to be concerned with learning to deal with currents as in a river.

4. I would be willing to show you a bit about casting/ retrieval, the only catch is that I don't have a pond or anything to take you to.

If you've got access to a pond, though, I'm pretty sure we could improve your technique and tie you into a few bluegills.

5. I second the MRO casting lesson. Once Brian showed me what to do, it was then just a matter of lots of practice. As they say, "Fly casting takes 30 minutes to learn, and a lifetime to perfect."

6. Slabs!

Slabs! Multispecies Journeyman

Thanks guys! I've been meaning to get to the MRO classes, but for whatever reason haven't made the time, even though I've been to MRO quite a few times during the last 2 years. I guess I just spend too much time out on the water. I even have the videos from MRO and other places. Guess I'm just a lil' impatient and want to catch fish right now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

7. MadRad

MadRad Seasoned Member

Guys, there are two sides to the coin! You can cast like a pro and catch a grass hopper in your front yard. Or you can understand the very nature of the beast that you are staking.

I don't fish the same way for trout as I do for blue gill, as I do for sm bass. Be real with your perspective, the quarries have different patterns. They require different methods of presentation.

I'm not a pro with a FFF certificate. I'm just somebody with a wildlife background that enjoys getting his feet wet and a line out. If you are in the Cincy area, drop me a line and we can have some good times on the water.

Rick D.:)