close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Point of clarification (Farel cats)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Elamenohpee, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

This is almost a mirror of another thread, but in seeing how that thread is nearing it's timely demise, I'm posting this very important information elsewhere.

The official position of the DNR is that feral cats are NOT regulated by the state of Ohio. Therefor, it is not illegal to shoot a feral cat on public lands. The dilemma you may incur however is discharging a firearm within a municipality which prohibits it and or destruction of property (if the cat you shoot is actually a house cat that got loose) and even then it's not the DNR's jurisdiction.

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Some research may need to be done as to where this is actually posted as law but ODNR does not have anything to do with it if it is not indigenous wildlife. The law on it that is. That would fall in the hands of the USDA.

3. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I simply made a phone call to division 3 and spoke with a law enfocemnt officer.

4. Yeah, I just called ODNR headquarters in Columbus briefed them on the situation and they said you will all be arrested if you don't get a life, get off this thread, and find another thread to run in the ground.

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

If the cat is another's property and you kill it, it is conversion of chattels, ie. they have a civil action against you.

6. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Sheep, once again you get a vote for most funny poster. Way to go! I agree this is an over-cooked topic.

7. Conversation about chinatown????

8. When the cats attack my livestock I have no choice but to introduce them to the 12 gauge.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Thresher, what you find Ethical or Unethical differs from what someone else finds it to be. I'm sure a Sheep Farmer, or someone who raises Chickens, Goats, etc.... finds wild or domesticated dogs being on their land more of a threat than you would.

This is just something that everyone will NEVER agree upon.

10. mrjbigfoot

mrjbigfoot Mike

I've found some good humor in seeing all the stuff on this one that's been in the newspaper, on TV, in magazines and flourishing on web sites. Sounds to me like it is up to the idividual states to pass regulations to cover it as WI is in the process of doing, because they have an estimated 2 million feral/wild cats. That's more than twice as many deer as we have in OHIO! I understand that there's 2 other states that also have passed regulations, years ago, that allow for the killing of feral/wild cats. I also read where the country of Scottland has hunted them for years & kids in Scottland hunt them like kids in the US do squirrels. So, the only question I have is what do you do with them? Do people eat feral cats? Do they leave them in the woods for the Opossums to eat? Or maybe, they use them for catfish bait...LOL!!! I bet a big pike or a muskie would eat one but they'd want it to still be kicking...LOL!