close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Point Breeze, NY Salmon Report

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by EE, Aug 12, 2008.

1. EE

EE

I finally got my pictures loaded......

Ying6 and I got back last night from Point Breeze, after 3 days of fishing (actually, it would be more accurate to say 1.5 days of fishing). We were dodging storms on and off the lake each day and we probably spent 1/2 the time on the water that we had intended to.

We finished with 9 salmon and 3 steelhead, amidst countless strikes and hookups that we missed...... light years ahead of what we accomplished last year. The two biggest were 22 and 26 pounds.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Day one, nothing but a spoon bite (off downriggers). Watermelon, Natural Born Killer, Blue Dolphin and Green Dolphin were the best producers. Also lost a MONSTER on a magnum Lemon Ice (lost the spoon too). Ran mup rigs, however more times than not the upper spoon took the hit! One hit was so hard, the hook snapped (and the trebles on these spoons are BIG).

Day two, nothing on the spoons, everything came on walker divers on a 2 setting, back 160-180 feet. 10 foot leaders between the dipsey and the flasher. 20" from flasher to fly.
    When the cold water was found deeper, we dropped them back to 225-240 feet. 42 second combo's were on fire, couldn't keep them in the water.

Day three was the slowest, but produced our "big fish" of the weekend. When fish don't hit for several hours and you hit that point when you get tired, a little hungry, hot, a 26 pounder can cure the blues pretty quickly.

If you have the opportunity, invest in a Depth Raider. We found that we were driving 4.5 mph at the surface in order to get our flashers/flies and spoons to move 2.8-3.0, so it's well worth every penny

2. Good going! Heading up next week and cannot wait. I have some new Warrior spoons coming from Big Papa in Michigan, hoping those NY kings like Mich spoons:)

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Nice job!!!

Glad it went well for you when you could get out on the water.

Exciting with just two guys on the boat for sure.

4. Were the fish staging (60 to 80 fow)? Or were you in deeper water? Fish in temp (39 to 52 degrees) or hangin' outside of temp?

I agree with every word you said...

Love the Raider, 10' leads from diver to flasher/fly, Nothin' like a good King bite.

Way to go!

5. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Good Job Eric!! Nice to see a couple big ones come with the little ones. That 26 looks real nice, can't wait till next week. :B

6. EE

EE

fish were out in deep water. we trolled out as far as the 31 line, but found most of our success at the 28 line which was somewhere around 400-500 feet of water (fish were from 60-80 feet down, with some high marks at 40-50). On the third day (after continued storms), the area that was 49-52 degrees the day before was 58-60, and not suprisingly the fish had moved further out (and deeper) to the colder water.

7. Great trip. Weather was definitely iffy most of the time. I thought the people at Captians Cove could not have been better. Very good at giving weather reports and helped a ton.
    We stayed at the camp ground in a tent, during the weather the tent held firm and Erik had cots for us to sleep on. Very economic as it only was $25 a night. The camp grounds are very nice and there are plenty of places to stay. If anyone is looking for a cheaper way to go.
    Best part of the trip was watching the fish run line. IT is incredible. One of the bigger fish was screaming line and Erik asked me to let him know if it got to 600 as we would have to pull all the lines. I looked down and it was at 650! When we finally got the fish to the boat, I could have sworn I saw a BLOW HOLE!
    Still trying to recover and not feel like I am swaying with a boat.
    ying

8. Best part of the trip was watching the fish run line. IT is incredible. One of the bigger fish was screaming line and Erik asked me to let him know if it got to 600 as we would have to pull all the lines. I looked down and it was at 650! When we finally got the fish to the boat, I could have sworn I saw a BLOW HOLE!
    Still trying to recover and not feel like I am swaying with a boat.
    ying

There is a reason why they are nicknamed "KINGS"...

GOT TO LOVE IT!!!!

9. Lightly coat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder then coat with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and let sit for about 15 mins then grill....

MMMMMM MMMMMM Good!

10. Great job guys hurts all the more looking at those sweet pictures!! Next year i am making sure i get to go!! :)

11. If you are open to dates, I highly recommend mid to late May from the Niagara Bar east to Olcott. Fantastic numbers. If you fish west of Olcott, you usually don't have to deal with too much boat traffic by then either.

We have gone the last two years over Memorial Day weekend and done well. SLAMMED them this year with 62 hook ups in 2 full mornings, 2 afternoon/evenings and 1 2 hr. morning trip. Spring fish are a little smaller on average, but are dime bright and full of p*ss and vinegar.