Poetically disastrous outing; or how I landed my first yak-hawg...

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RareVos, Sep 19, 2007.

1. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Not quite a maiden voyage, but my second yak-outing on a reservoir near my work. A little on-the-way-home yak and fish type thing. Caught a monster crappie and a few decent bass, nothing to get too excited about. Anyway I was burning this little buzzer through a likely spot in the middle of this impoundment when the water exploded and my rod doubled, reel singing. Fish on! After a short struggle I had boated my first pig in the yak. Good stuff. I put the thing down to situate enough to get a pic of her... leaned over and heard something "plink" off the port side. I guess some dipstick forgot to completely zip up the pocket on PFD which contained the digital camera. $300 into the drink. Things needed for boat: landing net, camera tether, camera. Here is the best image I could muster in the dark with my cellphone. Cheers.

[​IMG]

2. congrats on that yak,,,and the fish kevin...you will get it all squared away..i forgot didnt know what i needed to take in my crawdad at first...and then when i figured out everything to take..now its just all about what i forget haha

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Nice fish! Sorry to hear about the camera.

CG

4. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

Nice Bass, I dropped my camera in Alum last month, the worst part was that it was my GF's. Glad the prices really dropped on Digicameras, picked up a new one at Walmart for 150$, half the price and twice the megapixels than the one I bought 2 years ago.

5. Sucks about the camera.
    Also pay attention to how you carry your rods on your first stream voyage. They like to snap off on things if you're not careful.

How are you liking your yak? And any pics of it?

6. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I'm liking the yak just fine. I'm still trying to figure out really basic things like paddling. I am really suprised at how little effort it takes to move the boat on flat water without wind. I can nearly go where I want just with the resistance of a spinnerbait retrieve. Sometimes I can paddle pretty straight and others I can't go straight to save my life. My paddle has adjustable feathering so perhaps that can be dialed in once I get my stroke figured out. It is becoming clear that learning to paddle the boat while learning to fish in the boat isn't easy. But with daylight at a premium these days I'll just have to muddle through.

Other than that the pre-rigged rod holders are just okay. The scotty in the middle of cockpit is just a little out of reach to be really handy. The flush mounts are fine. The boat itself is mostly well behaved. I'll have to go out in swimming atire and figure out what the stability limits are. It may just all be in my head.

No pics yet... maybe after I pick up a new camera.

7. get a refurb camera from ebay for $80 - they are great and if you loose it, it is less painful.

8. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I keep reading the thread title as politically disastrous....
    I thought you got caught in the bathrooms or something.

9. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

What we have figured out yakking and fishing is LET THE KAYAK DO WHAT IT WANTS while drift fishing, you will spend more time fishing and less time worrying which way down the river you are going, Flat water is roughly the same, but most yaks like to tail out after a riffle or swift water, I spend half the day floating backwards, ask shwookie, he knows all to well. And the tip about poles is to be learned, again mostly on a river. Having more than one out can be very difficult, when heading for a riffle with ANY low hanging stuff, get all your poles laid out in front of you with tips inside the boat, rod holders turn into pole breakers or pole losers, my advise which I still don't take all the time is stick to one pole out in rivers, break down the others or store them, too much darn trouble and I still don't learn.

10. A bow anchor can be a real asset when used properly, and helps reduce the frustration of "drifting".
    We use those 3 lb. rubber coated dumbells for anchors......and if that doesn't hold you in place against current, you shouldn't be anchored there anyway for safety reasons.

My best advice for rod holders is to bite the bullet and get the RAM rod holders, as they are infinately adjustable. Basically, you can arrange your rods so they point straight forward.
    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...arentType=index&parentId=cat350011&id=0001483

I have one buddy who sticks the handles in the front bungee, and then straps the tips down behind him. His rods lay flat and bend a little along the yak.
    His set up is alot more bullet proof in really nasty cover, but probably 90% of the streams in Ohio can be managed with rod holders.

I'll try to dig up a pic of a couple different set ups.

11. Found a shot of my RAM rod holders. Hard to make out, but you can see that you can adjust them so the rods point straight forward.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of a SOT used on streams. I have another buddy who takes the rod handles and straps them on top of a small cooler also.
    [​IMG]

12. PS,
    The best tip I got last summer was the paddle deal.
    Check out my paddle. By my left hand drip guard, there's a thin white stripe....my beginning point. And then down the shaft I've painted in 12" through 22" (A guy can be hopeful, can't he?) marks.
    I don't use a paddle holder so my paddle is always laying across my lap, so the "ruler" is always handy.

13. NICE Bass, what did it way ? Hearing things go Kerblunk is not a good thing, have dropped a few things out of the boat, but no big money items.
    What did your wife have to say ?
    P.S. If all you yakers, need any help with rigging a kayak, check out jaxkayakfishing.com, they have a rigging page that might help you out. I dont have a kayak,but i got some good ideas on rigging my canoe.

14. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

My wife kind of laughed because I carelessly dropped the same camera in a teeny creek at D-Bends with the kids while I was cleaning my feet. The camera was fine... not so much now. So that new casting rod and reel I wanted is more or less out of the picture, heh.

The fish had a real nice girth and was nice and heavy. Being it was dark and I was kind of flustered already... I'd stake my reputation as a honest fisher-guy that this was 22" and 5.5lbs. Although I really wouldn't be suprised if it was 6lb or more... need to get a scale.

15. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

When I'm outin my canoe I rarely bring my camera. 1. I don't want to hear the wife if I lose it. 2. Its bad luck for me.

16. Fish in the picture weighed 19 lbs. and was 31 inches long.......;)

17. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

The one you are holding is a real peach Andy. I think I will have to look at the Ram holders. The Scotty mounted on mine is keyed so that the rod points to port 45 degrees. Cool if you aren't moving. I was thinking about just gouging out the key in the mount to see if it won't seat well witout it. If not I will mount up something else... there is all kinds of room to mount stuff in the Manta Ray.

18. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Nice hog in that picture. The smallie aint bad either! :D

CG

19. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Lol.
    I came in here to post something, but can't remember now.

heh, oh yeah,
    I have a piece of tape measuring 18" on my pole for the same reason. I can quickly see how they measure up and slip them back in the water.
    18" is a mark I have yet to crest unfortunately with a sm.