close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poachers get HAMMERED!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And rightfully so. The new poaching laws definitely have TEETH!

From the Ohio Division of Wildlife.

SALE OF SPORT-CAUGHT FISH NETS MULTIPLE CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS

FOR FIVE COLUMBUS-AREA RESIDENTS, ONE RESTAURANT

COLUMBUS, OH -- Five Columbus-area residents and one restaurant were recently convicted of buying and selling sport-caught fish, following a two-year investigation by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. Under state wildlife laws, only commercially caught fish may be sold in Ohio.

Shi Jian Wu, 43, and Yu Zhu Shi, 44, both of Gahanna; Jimmy Li, 32, Huang Jian Song, 32, and Khai S. Wong, 47, all of Columbus, were convicted in Fremont and Franklin County municipal courts of a variety of misdemeanors involving the trafficking of sport-caught white bass and walleye. Song is the owner of the Dragon China Restaurant, located at 6410 Gender Road in Canal Winchester.

Working from an anonymous tip that people were soliciting recreational anglers at a Fremont fishing area to sell their catch, undercover wildlife investigators traced the illegal activity to several Columbus-area restaurant owners. The illegal fish sales were made both in Fremont and Columbus.

The sale of sport-caught fish is a fourth-degree misdemeanor offense in Ohio. However, the sale of walleye or saugeye, both highly sought after sport fish, raises the severity of the charge to a first-degree misdemeanor.

The four men and one woman were charged with a total of eight first-degree misdemeanor charges for buying walleye and five fourth-degree misdemeanor charges for buying white bass, as well as two counts of aiding a wildlife offender. All entered guilty pleas to the charges.

The defendants were sentenced to pay a total of $17,167 in fines, court costs and restitution. They were also levied 780 total days in jail, with the jail time suspended for a five-year probationary period. Loss of hunting and fishing privileges, community service and mandatory poster production and distribution were also included in the sentences.

The Franklin County Board of Health and City of Columbus Board of Health assisted the Division of Wildlife in the investigation.

Anyone observing or suspecting that wildlife violations are occurring may report illegal activity by calling the Turn-In-A-Poacher (TIP) hotline toll free at 1-800-POACHER.

Defendants, charges, and sentences in the case are:

Shi Jian Wu, 43, of Gahanna, was convicted of one count of buying white bass and one count buying walleye. He was ordered to pay $263 in court costs and $5,000 restitution. He was also sentenced to 210 days in jail, with the time suspended for a five-year probationary period. His hunting and fishing privileges were revoked for five years. He may not possess native Ohio wildlife, is subject to random inspections, and may not sell any type of fish for a five-year period.

Yu Zhu Shi, 44, of Gahanna, was convicted of one count of buying walleye. She was ordered to pay $114 in court costs and $1,000 restitution, sentenced to 180 days in jail, with the time suspended for a five year probationary period, and lost her hunting and fishing privileges for five years. She may not possess native Ohio wildlife, is subject to random inspections, and may not sell any type of fish for a five-year period.

Jimmy Li, 32, of Columbus, was convicted of one count of selling white bass and one count of selling walleye. He was ordered to pay $200 in fines, $116 in court costs and $100 restitution. He was also ordered to perform 48 hours of community service. A 210-day jail sentence was suspended and Li was placed on five years of probation. He may not possess native Ohio wildlife, is subject to random inspections, and may not sell any type of fish for a five-year period.

Dragon China Restaurant was convicted as a corporation of two counts of buying white bass and two counts of buying walleye. The restaurant’s owner, Huang Jian Song, 32, of Columbus, was also convicted of two counts of buying white bass and two counts of buying walleye. Song was ordered to pay $9,600 restitution and sentenced to 420 days in jail. The jail time was suspended and he was placed on probation for five years. He also lost his hunting and fishing privileged for five years. He may not possess or sell any native Ohio wildlife individually or at any restaurant that he owns, is subject to random inspections by wildlife officers, and may not sell any type of fish for a five-year period.

Khai S. Wong, 47, of Columbus was convicted of one counting of aiding a wildlife offender in the purchase of walleye. He was fined $500 and must pay $158 in court costs. A 180-day jail sentence was suspended for one year. Wong was also ordered to make an educational poster about fish buying and selling in Ohio and distribute it to a list of Chinese restaurants throughout the state.

Wong was also convicted in Fremont Municipal Court of one charge of fishing without a license and will be sentenced on July 22.

2. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

Absolutely love it.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto!!!!sounds like they're getting tougher.i think if the had the time and resources,they could put a hurtin' on a lot more restaurant owners around town.start slapping thousands of $ worth of fines on them and they'll learn.

4. pizza

pizza

the cost of the fines and other penalties seem about right to me given the information posted. It's more than just the slap on the wrist we usually hear about in poaching cases. I'd be interested in knowing more details, sounds like a small time operation if they were asking individuals if they wanted to sell their fish?

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Absolutely fantastic!!!

Though, I must say I'm a little disappointed the fines weren't heavier on those that caught the fish. Oh well, its a step in the right direction.

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

They should deport them the minute after they pay their fines.

7. Carl,
    Do you happen to have a link to this story? I looked at the ODNR's website and didn't see it. Thanks.

8. That is encouraging to say the least. After watching all of those guys who were busted for double and triple tripping in February '07 get off with a slap on the wrist from that Port Clinton judge...I was wondering if we'd ever see stiffer penalties for poor judgement.

9. They just recently nailed a couple of guys in my area (Knox county) for poaching and illegal possession of wild game. I didn't post anything at the time because I was waiting to hear more details. At the time they didn't even give names but had a picture on the newspaper's web site. I still haven't heard any more. Hopefully they get more of the same treatment.

10. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

There is a small bit in the most recent issue of In-Fisherman about a group in Ohio testing perch at restaurants to see if it is really perch. Apparently a number of them were using Europeon perch instead of yellow perch. I would love to see the results on what species Chinese restaurants are serving.

11. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

LoL

What makes you think they are immigrants (legal or illegal)?? These people could be second, third etc etc generation....Would you like all first degree misdemeanor punishments to include the deportation of legal (you and I) residents? Some people are hillarious.

I'm glad the ODNR caught these guys, and the penalties sound alot stiffer then in previous cases. I'm glad to see something being done!

12. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

If they're not immigrants I think they should be deported anyway. At least to Pittsburgh.

13. I don't understand why they have jail in the guidelines for sentences -- it's always removed. Just like the bust with state fish in Cleveland a few years ago, the business pays a little money and continues on with life. The fines are stiffer for the individuals, but the businesses still get away with it. The state won't think twice about removing a liquor license for selling underage, why not shut them down for a bit if using illegally obtained food?

Cases like this are why I would never eat fish from an oriental restaurant. When growing up, I knew guys who caught dozens of white bass at Avon and sold them by the bucket to the local Chinese restaurant. On the menu as "white fish". These fish were caught, stuffed in a bucket, driven to the restaurant, then eventually cleaned, never seeing an ice chest thru the whole procedure. Proves that you can make any fish edible with the right sauce.

The stiffer fines are a step in the right direction, but there is still a ways to go.

14. Probably CATfish (LOL)

Lived in Houston for 6 yrs. Some of the most blatant fishing violations I saw (undersize, over limit, etc) were committed by the Vietnamese down there. They absolutely kept EVERYTHING they caught. They weren't the only ones, by any means, but if you watched them long enough, it would happen. Seemed that they felt the law didn't apply to them.

15. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Ancient Member

Because the article said so "Shi Jian Wu, 43, and Yu Zhu Shi, 44, both of Gahanna"

16. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

he also said:

Just because someone has a "foreign sounding" name doesn't mean they aren't a citizen. My brother's fiancé has a similar last name to the people in the article whose names I have quoted. She is a citizen, her parents are citizens, she speaks perfect English, and is going to law school. In a few short years she will have a degree in United State Law.

Have the families of the people mentioned immigrated to the USA at one point in time? Sure, but so have your families unless you are descended from a 100% Native American lineage. ;)

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the intent of the original post was to inform people of some of the results of new poaching laws.in no way was it intended to be taken as an invitation to debate immigration,or other issues.the former having been accomplished,and the latter having been introduced into the discussion,and likely will continue to some extent(proven by history of such discussions),i feel it's best to leave things where they are,and put this one to sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.