close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poachers Caught!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Hang 'em high!!!

SUSPECTED FISH POACHERS NETTED

DURING UNDERCOVER WILDLIFE INVESTIGATION

Persons charged are from Delaware, Mt. Gilead, Cincinnati, Fremont, Tiffin, Columbus, Cincinnati and Clay City, Kentucky

COLUMBUS, OH - "Operation RIP RAP," an undercover investigation conducted by officers of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife, has resulted in the arrest of 10 people in recent days for the commercial sale of white bass and walleye caught by sport fishing.

The suspects are accused of illegally selling thousands of fish, many of which were taken by the illegal practice of snagging. ODNR authorities believe all of the illegal fish sales occurred within the City of Fremont in Sandusky County.

"The alleged poachers are believed to have stolen thousand of wild animals from the citizens of Ohio," said Steven A. Gray, chief of the ODNR Division of Wildlife. "This should in no way reflect negatively on the image of the legitimate sportsmen and women of our state. In fact, it is because of concerned conservationists who were willing to get involved that this illegal activity has now been stopped."

The 10 people arrested are: Jamie R. Cummings, 24, 5970 CR 121, Mt. Gilead; Jay N. Cummings, 28, address unknown; Jerry N. Cummings, 66, 1330 Hanover, LT 72, Delaware; JoAnn Cummings, 55, 1330 Hanover LT 72, Delaware; Larry R. Fornash, 59, 2033 Daugherty Ave., Columbus; Everette "Rattle" Holland, 71, 815 Oak Ave., Cincinnati; Grady Jones, Jr., 53, 200 Jones Rd, Clay City, KY; Thomas Rhodes, 35, 21 Grace St., Tiffin; Walter "Chris" Rhodes, 37, 202 Fifth Ave., Tiffin; and Patricia L. Strausbaugh, 67, 1730 Port Clinton Rd. Lot 26, Fremont.

The suspected poachers are charged with a total of 15 fifth-degree felony counts and seven fourth-degree misdemeanor counts for violating Ohio's wildlife laws. According to investigators, additional charges may follow. Fifth-degree felony convictions carry a maximum penalty of $2,500 in fines and 12 months in jail. In addition, the defendants could be ordered to pay as much as $20,000 in total restitution to the state for the poached fish.

"This investigation was initiated because of numerous poaching complaints received through the Division of Wildlife's Turn-In-A-Poacher hotline from sportsmen in the Fremont area," said Daniel T. Schneider, law enforcement executive administrator for the ODNR Division of Wildlife. "We sent in undercover officers in order to strike a blow against poaching and to send a strong message that this behavior will not be tolerated."

Established in 1982, the T.I.P. program allows Ohioans to call toll-free from anywhere in the state to report wildlife violations. Calls can be placed anonymously at 1-800-POACHER (800-762-2437).

2. Great Job Odnr And Sportsmen
    Now That's Teamwork, When We All Can Work Together, We Can Accomplish
    Anything And When We Don't We Accomplish Nothing.
    Thank You Big Daddy For Posting This
    Good Fishing Always
    Tom

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Throw the book at the scum!

4. I'm very happy to see that. That should send a message to the rest of the poachers in the state.

5. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

after reading all the names it sounds like it was almost a family affair, good for them its jerks like them that make everybody look bad and i agree with someone who said it above i hope they throw the book and the kitchen sink at them, you can,t fine those kind of people enough money......................... :cool:

6. They should never be able to fish in Ohio again.

7. Nice to hear that specially this week after my uncle was telling me about some guys up were he lives netting fish near the rasin river coming into erie. They had them all in a bucket and he talked to them. They were telling him they keep the bucket by them so if the DNR comes they can just kick it in the water. He said they has Bass, cropie and northern pike for the most part.

8. Pike

Pike

It is great to see the positive results from sportsman and the ODNR work together. Keep up the good work.

9. rockbass

rockbass Banned

It is bad enough if they are snagging just to fill the dinner plate. But when they are making a profit by illegally taking these fish. Big no no. I hope they get the worst they can for this. Thanks for posting this!

10. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I think they should never be able to obtain a fishing license in the state of Ohio again.

I do however; find it odd they were snagging white bass and walleyes. I just don't see that happening.

I also wouldn't be surprised if these people "get off". I mean they charges will be plea-bargained down to something the pros. feels reasonable.

If you remember a few years back there was a big poaching ring busted up near Westerville new albany area for deer, most of those guys got off pretty light with just a temporary (3-5year) hunting license suspension + loss of property. I don't believe any of them were made felons, and I don't believe these guys should either. You shouldn't be stripped of your right to vote, or own a gun because you illegally took a few fish. I have no problem with taking their fishing "rights" or fining the hell out of them though. 1st degree misdemeanors would be better punishment then 5th degree felonies.

Just my two cents

11. They knew what they were doing and I'm sure they had done it over a protracted period of time. Who knows just how many years they were involved it this practice. It is easy to snag walleye and white bass when the river run is on. I say to impose the maximum fine and sentence on them so a message is sent to anyone else thinking about or currently active in this type of poaching (criminal) activity. :mad:

12. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I do agree that a stiff sentence and fine should be imposed, I just think making someone a felon is a bit overboard. I think I would rather do 6 to 12 months in jail for a 1st degree misdemeanor then to get probation and be a convicted felon.

Maybe snagging white bass and walleye is easy during the run, but I have never seen them grouped together in such a way snagging would be effective, but I hardly "know it all". :D