Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to report that i was getting skunked at my honey hole (Howard rd) yesterday, and was stopped and asked for my license which i gladly produced. It was a very nice site to see because apparently my buddy and I were the only people up there with fishing licences. They hit everyone else for no licence fines, short crappie(under 9 inches), and litering. $450 in total fines per person. I was loving it and hopefully this will keep the poachers and rifraf away in the future. The ranger told me he has been writing up 20-30 people per week just at this location.
3 final notes
1) I was skunked yesterday, and it appears very clear to me that this spot ONLY produces between 9pm and midnight.
2) this spot never produces when the wind is not out of the north or west
3) NEVER keep anything under limit. I was raised that if you catch something close to limit and in the process of catching and getting the hook out that if the fish is bleeding bad and going to die that you should keep it instead of being wastful and throwing back a dead fish. The ranger mentioned to me to never do that because short is short and that it has to be thrown back. I just thought everyone might want to know that in spit of it being the moral thing to do it is in your best interests to always throw back short fish no matter what.

·
Registered
537 Posts
+1 to the ranger... Too many people go and take fish out with paying their due by getting their license. Now I would like to see a license work for all 50 states so I dont have to buy so many licenses a year lol but I do like that they seem to be checking more for them. I got checked for the first time this year. Doesnt bother me one bit.

·
Your bobber's gone!
59 Posts
I still can't figure out why someone would pay hundreds compared to $19. I've got a few friends that fish a few times a year and refuse to get their license so I've had to stop takin them unless they get it at the bait store. Needless to say we all end up legal. Oh, and thanks for the info on a gut-hooked fish. I've always thrown them back just in case now I can let my buddies know the facts.

·
188 Posts
good post! makes me feel better they are out there cracking down.
throwing back shorties never hit me so much as going out on the head boats in FL.
tons (ok, not really tons) but allot of snappers too short thrown back.....to the dolphins who follow the boat waiting for the free meal!

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
I used to say that in all my fishing years I had never come across the DNR. Last year I was checked twice.

Great idea on the license for all 50 states. I'm going to need that as I'm going to SC in September and Key West in January. Hope to catch some cool stuff.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great to hear that the Ranger's are doing there jobs... and as for throwing back the hurt fish.. its not a loss... im sure there are enough critters out there who will come along and eat anything they find.....and i also would love to see the ability to buy a license that would cover more than one state..and still give u the option to just buy for ohio...or where ever u need to go..

·
Multi Species Angler
6,189 Posts
I wanted to report that i was getting skunked at my honey hole (Howard rd) yesterday, and was stopped and asked for my license which i gladly produced. It was a very nice site to see because apparently my buddy and I were the only people up there with fishing licences. They hit everyone else for no licence fines, short crappie(under 9 inches), and litering. $450 in total fines per person. I was loving it and hopefully this will keep the poachers and rifraf away in the future. The ranger told me he has been writing up 20-30 people per week just at this location.
3 final notes
1) I was skunked yesterday, and it appears very clear to me that this spot ONLY produces between 9pm and midnight.
2) this spot never produces when the wind is not out of the north or west
3) NEVER keep anything under limit. I was raised that if you catch something close to limit and in the process of catching and getting the hook out that if the fish is bleeding bad and going to die that you should keep it instead of being wastful and throwing back a dead fish. The ranger mentioned to me to never do that because short is short and that it has to be thrown back. I just thought everyone might want to know that in spit of it being the moral thing to do it is in your best interests to always throw back short fish no matter what.
Maybe, not many knew of the "Honey Hole" until you posted on the world wide web for all to see. Then, the lurkers and "rifraf" as you referred to them came out in droves, and the fishing went to crap, the place got littered up and somebody who used to really enjoy the place got fed up and called the GW.

Do you now see the impact you can have on a nice fishing location. Sharing information is good especially tactics, techniques and general areas. However, to say go to this spot as I have been slayin em...................well.

:arrogant:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Why would you go to Alum Creek of all places without a license:confused: I buy both of my license every year first thing so it makes no difference to me, but if your a guy who wants to go fishing without a license cant you find a spot a little less public.

·
Keep'n It Reel
1,543 Posts
I saw them checking people at 2 different locations at 2 different times of the day around Oshay yesterday...

Sow

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
maybe, not many knew of the "honey hole" until you posted on the world wide web for all to see. Then, the lurkers and "rifraf" as you referred to them came out in droves, and the fishing went to crap, the place got littered up and somebody who used to really enjoy the place got fed up and called the gw.

Do you now see the impact you can have on a nice fishing location. Sharing information is good especially tactics, techniques and general areas. However, to say go to this spot as i have been slayin em...................well.

amen!!!!!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'll bet littering lurkers & rif-raf were at Howard Rd. long b/4 Kdog posted it! This is a large site, however 18,000+ members aint squat when you consider that Ohio sells over 1 million fishing licenses a year. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
they could issue sooooo many tickets, especially for littering. Just head to any easily accessible spot below a dam! Heck just head to any spot with easy access that gets heavily fished.

Next time I see Mr Drives a small black pickup and Mr walks around with a giant red tackle bag littering the ponds I fish with their soft plastics I'm gonna punch them in the foice! One of the greenies I caught caughed up a whole senko type when I lipped it. I realize this is probably not from littering but I did also see a turtle trying to eat a discarded plastic worm not to mention the stuff has chemicals that are bad for the water (some not as much). I picked up three of the middle lure Sunday night and the Frog Sunday night in spots that I had fished then they fished then I fished again. They weren't there the first time around.

Attachments

4,760 Posts
Maybe, not many knew of the "Honey Hole" until you posted on the world wide web for all to see. Then, the lurkers and "rifraf" as you referred to them came out in droves, and the fishing went to crap, the place got littered up and somebody who used to really enjoy the place got fed up and called the GW.

Do you now see the impact you can have on a nice fishing location. Sharing information is good especially tactics, techniques and general areas. However, to say go to this spot as I have been slayin em...................well.

:arrogant:
I hear ya there!!

Amen brother :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was on a bass Fishing trip in Tennessee with a guide, after a few hours on the boat he sort of said with concern, I forgot to ask you guys if you got your license, we of course said we had, but he was so concerned that I asked him if he got in to some type of trouble if we had not, he said no, not me, but they take you straight to jail here.........!! Now that is a deterent!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love when people argue about "honey holes". Anybody take time to notice they are always on public waters? There is NO such thing as a "secret" place on public water. People have been there before you and will be there after you. When I have taken the time to hike 4 miles to an AEP pond and someone is already there, it ain't no secret.

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
Jeez, does every new member need to chime in their opinion on "Honey Holes" in every single thread?

I got checked for the first time at Oshay 2 months ago. Officer was really nice and we chatted about fishing as I was the last one checked. I would love to see more officers checking people in central Ohio streams/tailwaters.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
the more publicity a place gets (especially to strangers), the more trashed it gets. Many fisherman are littering slobs.

·
Elroderator
477 Posts
poachers suck, dnr officials rock and honey holes are a dime a dozen....

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Jeez, does every new member need to chime in their opinion on "Honey Holes" in every single thread?
that seems to be a more of a habit of some "older" members than "new" ones,LOL.

as far as honey holes go,i have several on various waters,but since lots of other people fish them, maybe they are their honey holes also;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I love when people argue about "honey holes". Anybody take time to notice they are always on public waters? There is NO such thing as a "secret" place on public water. People have been there before you and will be there after you. When I have taken the time to hike 4 miles to an AEP pond and someone is already there, it ain't no secret.
Agree with you to a point. It's alot better getting to that spot you walked 4 miles to and finding one guy there as oppossed to the 20 guys with stringers who would have never visited that spot if someone hadn't given it out on the internet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts