close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poacher Caught GREEN handed!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Sep 28, 2005.

1. POACHER TARGETS OHIO’S GREEN GOLD IN CARROLL COUNTY

Illegal harvest of the highly coveted herb, Ginseng, lands poacher in jail

AKRON, OH – In order to protect American ginseng from being overharvested, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife requires by law that wild and cultivated ginseng in Ohio must be certified before it can be exported from Ohio. A season on ginseng harvesting, commonly called digging, is established and enforced similar to a game animal hunting season and runs from September 1st to December 31st of each year.

William Dalton of Malvern chose not to abide by these laws and faced the consequences put forth by the Carroll County Court. Dalton was convicted of the following: one count of digging ginseng out of season, one count of digging undersized plants, one count resisting arrest, fined $600.00, ordered to serve 20 days in jail, and is required to serve two years reporting probation with the conditions that he cannot possess ginseng or be involved in the ginseng trade.

“Those who wish to harvest ginseng must understand that a highly regulated ginseng harvesting season is enforced to prevent illegal harvesting activities,” explains Doug Miller, law enforcement supervisor for the Division of Wildlife. “Also, ginseng found on private land is owned by the landowner. If a trespasser harvests ginseng on private property without permission of the landowner, that is illegal and enforcement actions will be taken by the Division of Wildlife.”

Ginseng, known as Ohio’s green gold, is an herb highly prized worldwide for its root. The ginseng plant is native to Ohio’s woodlands and grows primarily in the southeastern, Appalachian region of the state. Ohioans hunt for and dig the root, a practice called ‘sanging' by participants, and then sell the root, which ends up mainly in the Asian market. Dry wild root is worth up to $400 per pound. About 3,200 pounds of dried ginseng root is harvested from the state each year, making Ohio a top exporter in the United States. For regulations on Ohio’s ginseng laws, visit http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/resources/Ginseng/ginsenglaws.htm or call 1-800-WILDLIFE.

2. Is there anything the government doesn't regulate? Who cares if this guy harvests undersized ginseng? I think the gove't would have much more important things to do, and I know the DNR has more imortant things to do.

Eric

3. Warpath,

It is much like the protection of fisheries with size and number limits. Ginseng is a plant that takes a lot of years to grow to maturity and harvesting juvenile plants only serves to destroy the supply that Ohio has. People who abuse or ignore this law are no different than those who go out on our lakes and pillage the fish supplies.;)

It still seems to me that this guy made out rather lenient. However it is nice to see that the authorities are doing at least something to protect the industry.

4. One of the landowners who lets me and friends hunt on his property has tons of problems with folks coming on his land to pick ginseng. I had no clue this was even such a big deal until I talked to him about it.

I wouldn't know ginseng if you slapped me across the face with it.

5. BKR,

I can totally see your point, but it just seems to me that the gov't has more pressing issues.

My point is, that I drive from Cincy to Columbus at least once at week. I see people flying past OHP cruisers doing 80 mph without a second glance. People driving recklessly, driving drunk.....Just seems to me that my tax dollars don't get much anymore. I think you understand my position, as most people feel that way. It's just frustrating to not get anything from the money I feel I have invested.

Eric

6. Warpath,

And I see your point as well. I just wanted to point out that it is still an abuse of a natural resource and perhaps one that is much harder to get back than an overharvested lake. You will get no argument from me as to whether to crack down on the other law breakers that you listed either.;)

7. I know exactly how you feel. I used to help a buddy hunt it and about all I was good for was pointing out possible plants and saying, "Is this it?":rolleyes: What made it tough was that there is another plant very similar to it...and that plant of course was in much higher abundance.