Plug for Johnson Tach?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by FISHERBALL, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. I'm adding a gas gauge & want to power from ignition switch on a '81 70 HP Johnson. There is a plug on controller for tach with a power out, ground & tach signal lead. Anybody know where I can get the plug that goes into it? It took me an hour searching web just to find out what it's called. 3 Pin Amphenol Plug! I Googled it & found every type plug connector except the one I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!


  2. No ones ever put a tach on a Johnson motor?

  3. Have you tried a John-rude dealer? Omc used to offer an adapter. Or they may have an old, bad power pack with a three pin connector. You need several special tools to service those Amphenol connectors. If you cant find something PM me and I may be able to put something together. Luck Bill
  4. I made my own plug. I just drilled a hole slightly smaller than the wire in the plastic cover for the plug, twisted the wire, inserted it into the terminal & used Liquid Electric Tape on the cap as a seal. I wire tied the wire to one of the cables so it would be hard to pull apart. It holds tight & solid & didn't cost anything. If I ever get a tach I can either add 2 more wires or buy the correct plug but I needed a gas gauge to use the boat.